SASS Wire Forum

Pard is interested in some .45 cal loading blocks

has used the 2 circles of 5 each for pistol and double row that equals 10 for rifle

but would be interested to see what's out there.

thanks for some direction on this

Cheyenne, I have 4 I made for the 45 Colt. They hold 50 (5x10) and made in pine.

$25.00 for the set shipped to your ranch. :D Happy trails

QDG/Mike "SOLD TO MATT"

DSCN0680[1].JPG

DSCN0681[1].JPG

A friend of mine has been making leather load straps and blocks for some years.  Absolutely some of the best I have used or seen.  Amigo Leather works.  Cant find his address right now but you can see his products on E Bay    Look for Thief River Amigo    Has a great Wild Bunch strap too.     GW      PS he is a SASS member     E Bay seller name tramigo

14 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

I also used these. I bought 6 so I can have them preloaded before the stage in a match. They are well made and I like that I was able to customize it with my alias. Love them

TM

14 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Missouri Marshal Loadin Blocks

There are others, but these are what I use.

image.jpeg.d6f5b90ce0c6a1c2f4169fd3395b6f61.jpeg

2 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

I have 6 or 7 different types made by several different cowboys, and these are by far my favorite.

Missouri Marshall’s are tops in my opinion.  I have 6, I load them up the night before the match. Gives me a chance to look over each round. 

MM us a great guy to work with. He will make just what you want, Ship it to you, and if you like it, pay his invoice. 

3 hours ago, Headhunter, SASS#107011 said:

@Hurricane Deck 100366 used to advertise some pretty nice ones - not sure if he is still making them. Anyone know?

he borried one of mine that HD did but when my pard contacted HD found he was no longer making them.

15 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

X2

Plus you get to customize the name and other stuff on the leather.  I have had one for almost a year and love it.  He came make it in any caliber, or mixed calibers, and you don't pay until you get the loading block.

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

thanks for all the help pards

my buddy likes Missouri Marshal and is going with him

Good choice. He won't be disappointed at all.

Question....What is the advantage of using multiple individual loading blocks vs one plastic ammo box?  I use a 100 round plastic ammo box. Same ammo for both rifle and pistols. The box holds 10 rounds per row, one row for the rifle, the next row split between the pistols. I pack two boxes in the gun cart. They are convenient and take up less room in the gun cart.  So, what are the advantages of using wooden/leather loading blocks?

30 minutes ago, Tony Crowe said:

Question....What is the advantage of using multiple individual loading blocks vs one plastic ammo box?  I use a 100 round plastic ammo box. Same ammo for both rifle and pistols. The box holds 10 rounds per row, one row for the rifle, the next row split between the pistols. I pack two boxes in the gun cart. They are convenient and take up less room in the gun cart.  So, what are the advantages of using wooden/leather loading blocks?

If you use different cartridges for rifle and pistol, you definitely want one of these. Really helps keep them straight. Other advantages is taking up less space on the loading table than a box of ammo as well as not having to bring the box back to your cart after loading and chancing a sdq if you didn’t leave your pistols at the table. 

39 minutes ago, Tony Crowe said:

The advantage I feel I get is that I only take the ammo needed for that stage and after loading firearms I put the loading block in my back pocket. I don't have to worry about a box of live ammo laying around somewhere. Then when I have finished shooting I gather my brass and go back to my cart and put the empty loading block in my ammo box and get another loaded block and replenish my shotgun rounds and I am ready for the next stage. I have 7 so I am ready for the normal 6 stages and can keep track of how many I have shot as well by looking at how many blocks I still have left. Just a personal thing I guess.

Not everything is done for an "advantage".

Sometimes it's just a personal choice cuz it's more fun or easier for me or ????

I use little bags of 10 rifle & 10 pistol most of the time, cuz I like them.

I shoot different calibers much of the time, cuz I like the variety of guns I own & use.

But, as for loading blocks........

As Clairee Belcher said in the film Steel Magnolias:  "The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize."

--Dawg

As others have said, less Room taken at loading table, don’t have to bring box back to cart. Don’t have to worry about dropping box and having a bunch of cartridges to pick up out of dirt. I like the chance to load each block upnthe night before. Check them for split cases or high primers one more time. I have 6 MM blocks, and 1 brand X ( not nearly as good) that I use for knockdown rounds. 

The use of a canvas pouch loaded with 20 rounds works for me. I preload

the pouches prior to the match, hang them on my cart and I'm ready to go.

I use loading blocks when I'm loading at home. Keep it simple works for me! :wacko:

Happy trails

QDG/Mike

9 hours ago, Tony Crowe said:

I've "misplaced" ammo boxes at shoots, whether I sat them down and forgot or they fell out of the cart - they were gone.

All of my loading blocks have my alias on them - much easier to identify.

It seems that most of the feedback comes down to personal preference. For me two ammo boxes work just fine. They take up less space in the gun cart. My name is on each box as it would be on individual loading blocks. Two boxes take up less space than six loading blocks. With six blocks you will still need some extra ammunition in addition to a loading block for each stage. In my experience empty loading blocks from other shooters along with my ammo box are left on the end of the loading table and are picked up after shooting the stage. Occasionally, I will take the box and my speed loader back to the gun cart after loading my firearms (leaving them on the loading table of course). Since I use the same ammo for both the rifle and pistols. It is easy to keep track of the rounds used since the box has ten rounds per row. One row for the rifle and the next row has the two pistols (two rows per stage). I like the looks of the fancy wood/leather loading blocks, but think I will stick with my plastic box. 

Archived