SASS Wire Forum

Spotters and the .36

McCandless

If you decide to shoot your 36's at a shoot then just accept the fact that stuff happens and a miss will not ruin your day. I shoot my 36's a few times a year and hit or miss has never ruined my day. I don't keep track of a missed call at any match when shooting the holy black and it is my choice to enjoy the huge clouds from our guns. Yes I like to shoot clean matches but if I have a miss I will just try harder next time. I never watch the spotters call on a stage and figure everything seems to work out. Just my view on shooting 36's.

On 5/10/2018 at 1:44 PM, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

That's why I shoot 44s and not 36s.

Got tired of getting irritated with spotters who call hits as misses.

I love my 1860 44s, and only very occasionally shoot my Colt 1851 Navy 36s.

--Dawg 

I got a brace of .36 snubbies a few years ago, used them at one monthly match, .......... sigh ............ haven't used them since because of this.

I shoot .36's because it is the traditional caliber for the 1851 Navy.  As such, I have had misses called when it was a hit.  It has not ruined my day.  

I think the spotters try to do a good job but the occasional .36 catches them by surprise and is sometimes complicated by dead targets being hit with soft lead as well as the muzzle blast covering the ring of the softer hit.

There are two cures.  The first is Snakebite's idea of using a full load of FFFG 777, the other is to cast and shoot a harder alloy.  Yes, you will need a press to load the cylinders as the factory rammer won't be sufficient.  

For me, I'll take my chances with real powder and soft lead.  I'm going to have fun either way.

Although I'm a Frontiersman, I try to be a competitive Frontiersman, and I don't have to enjoy being called for misses that ain't.  Never hurts to let the R.O. or spotters know what to expect.   I enjoy getting the most accurate count possible.  I don't care to get a hit when I missed and don't want a miss when I hit.  Yep, we all get the calls wrong sometimes.  This isn't a rip on spotters either, we all grow somewhat complacent at times, especially in the heat.  (heck, sometimes it's hard to get three spotters!)  Some folks get it, some have the "oh, I don't care" attitude.  However you like to play your game is fine.  Oh, and nobody ever said I use light loads.  They are full chambers of 3F Black.  Just relating that I get more consistent calls with the .457 ball than the .36's... which is why I shoot the heavier guns in big matches.

8 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Oh, and nobody ever said I use light loads.  They are full cylinders of 3F Black.  Wish y'all wouldn't infer that somehow.  Just relating that I get more consistent calls with the .457 ball than the .36's.  

There was no inference you use light loads so please don't assume that.  BP by nature is a softer push using soft lead.  Even with full loads, it's not going to make a loud clang.  A .44 has more mass therefore will make more clang when it hits.  777 will push the little pill harder and make help with the clang effect.  It's a matter of physics.  

Just now, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

There was no inference you use light loads so please don't assume that.  BP by nature is a softer push using soft lead.  Even with full loads, it's not going to make a loud clang.  A .44 has more mass therefore will make more clang when it hits.  777 will push the little pill harder and make help with the clang effect.  It's a matter of physics.  

Yep, used Triple 7 for about 10 years, switched to Black and never looked back.  I do like APP in my cartridge loads though.  Shoot black powder in my shotgun and cap guns.

I like 777 for some things and even used Pyrodex on occasion but over the last 10-12 years, I have mostly become a purist with real BP in cartridges, shells, and capguns.  I have stepped up Frontiersman and am currently shooting FCGF with .36 Navies in a local annual and in a State Championship next month.  It's all about the fun of old style irons for me.

I'm trying out a pair of Replica Arms (Armi San Paolo) 1860's now for possible future matches.  Dang, they made good guns!

On 5/10/2018 at 1:44 PM, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

That's why I shoot 44s and not 36s.

Got tired of getting irritated with spotters who call hits as misses.

I love my 1860 44s, and only very occasionally shoot my Colt 1851 Navy 36s.

--Dawg 

This is also why my 51's are 44's 

Just Sayin 

Rooster 

Archived