SASS Wire Forum

S&W model 41 gunsmith

Is there any S&W Model 41 gunsmiths out there.

I have one and it needs a trigger job in a bad way by someone who knows what they are doing.

..........Widder

If nobody else knows of someone, I can try to get in touch with a friend of mine tomorrow or Monday and see if he has a recommendation. He is a long time competitive pistol shooter, and I would be surprised if he didn't know of someone up to the task.

The only one I have used was Jack Maple, but believe he died.   Have you considered sending it back to S&W.  They do not like problems with their products        GW

22 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

The only one I have used was Jack Maple, but believe he died.   Have you considered sending it back to S&W.  They do not like problems with their products        GW

+1

Thanks for all the replies, Pards.

DOC,  for now, you can hold off on that contact (at least for the moment).

The link that Lumpy posted might just be the right place to check.   PLUS, it might even be a good place to learn more about my Model 41 and its interworkings.

Thanks Lumpy.   That is a very good site.

..........Widder

Looks like I may have to spend some time there then, to learn a bit more about my own Model 41.

Since about 1974/75, I have owned about 6 model 41's.   Loved em all.

But, I would trade or sell them with the intent to buy another later.

Well, recently, I bought another one.    And its got a couple little gremlins inside that I ain't crazy about.

One gremlin is the feel of the sear and hammer cocking notch.  It just feels rough and has a slight 'dragging' feeling before it breaks for the shot.

Intially, it also had some 'no fires' because the hammer half-cock notch was catching on the sear because the sear wasn't moving forward enough to clear the hammer as it pivoted forward to fire.

Anyhow, being mechanically curious, I would like to solve some of those gremlins meowndangself BUT..... if need be, I may decide to send it to a 41 'expert' and let them tune the whole thing.

PLUS... both magazines feel rough and have noticeable drag when I'm loading them.   I need to know how to take them apart and smooth up those moving parts to make them smoother in operation.

..........Widder

I've been using my model 41 with iron sights to shoot the steel challenge, I finally broke the 4 second barrier yesterday I think it was as much the pistol as me that got it done, I love that pistol. I picked up one the Colt/Walther 1911's to try out but I just can't seem to pry myself away from the 41.

1 hour ago, Willy B.Shakin SASS#26902 said:

I've been using my model 41 with iron sights to shoot the steel challenge, I finally broke the 4 second barrier yesterday I think it was as much the pistol as me that got it done, I love that pistol. I picked up one the Colt/Walther 1911's to try out but I just can't seem to pry myself away from the 41.

Hey WIlly.

One of the finest little .22's I own is the Browning 1911  .22 which is approx 7/8 scale.

I've owned 2 of them and both have been flawless.   I sold one to a friend but kept the 'black label' edition.   

They are small and hold 10 rounds.

..........Widder

Thanks Widder

I already have the Colt rail gun, I started to clean up the trigger a little and ran into a few problems, The reviews said the internals in the receiver were pure 1911  well their close but not quite the same, The hammer turned into the main problem the hooks are just off enough to make replacing it with a match grade hammer a no go, I brought the trigger pull down a little and took out some creep but it's still not close to a match grade trigger.

We have a local gunsmith that a lot of the guys claim works miracles i'm thinking I'll see what he can do with it.

I also have a Woodsman match target I don't have enough magazines to do steel challenge with it but it might be fun to pick up a few more and give it a workout.

My shooting pard just picked up a Browning Buckmark target that he likes alot, He out shot me with it yesterday so he might be on to something.

Willy B'

Willy B,

I own 3 nice Buckmarks:   5.5" Bull barrel 'Field Target',   5.5" stainless Contour,   4" Carbon Fiber (limited edition and super nice).

The 5.5 Bull Buckmark is a great and accurate shooter.   But I must admit that I think the Model 41 'might' have a slight (although insignificant) accuracy edge.

Both the 5.5 Bull and the Model 41 really like CCI Standard Velocity and the Federal Hunter/Match ammo.   And there are a few more choices that BOTH of them shoot well, but I can't think of them at this time.

..........Widder

23 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Have you considered sending it back to S&W.  They do not like problems with their products        GW

I sent them an original model 29 (4" barrel) which only needed a new hand (i.e. the pawl) fitted.  It was a 60 year-old gun and the hand was worn, causing a little bit of a timing issue.  THEY CRACKED THE FRAME and completely ruined the gun. 

Holy smokes.  THEN THEY DIDN'T BOTHER TO TELL ME ABOUT IT FOR 6 MONTHS, when I inquired why it was taking longer than promised.  

Not a happy customer.  

One area to watch on the 41 is the trigger drawbar.  It engages with the mag thru a small spring.  Easy to get crud in and around, giving you strange trigger pull once and awhile.  Reversed mine so it was engaged all the time. Maple recommended recrowning the barrel because S&W did not know how to do it {in his opinion }      Like the S&W , had a couple , but love my High Standards    GW

GW,

I had a High Standard 'Victor' at one time and really liked it.   But I always seems to venture back to the model 41.

I was gona reverse that trigger bar spring but one leg of it is longer than the other which prevents its reversal, UNLESS............I cut some of the longer leg.   I decided not to cut.

Yes, I've noticed certain things about that trigger drawbar.   I've even removed it and polished its backside AND the area it slides in.

I will be checking out some of the info on the forum that Lumpy listed.   I already know a few things about the 41  (enough to get me in trouble) and I hope to learn some more stuff to give me a good understanding of its workings.

I may end up becoming a Model 41 'smith'  (interpret:  butcher)..... :o 

..........Widder

Widder, had 41's and Victors .  But shoot military High Standards,  didn't like the way the top strap (rib) covered the chamber permitting residue to collect in the mag area .  Lots easier to clear a jam too.   Plus 1 on Lumpy's reference to Rimfire Central,  but with all your 10/22 comments figured you knew.    GW

GW,

No doubt, I enjoy shooting my .22 rifles AND pistols.   Recently got me a CZ 455 'Tacticool" and it shoots really good.  Great rifle.

Anyhow, I think someone may have told me about Rimfire Central a couple years back, but I don't think I've actually been on that site.

I'll probably be a constant visitor now.

P.S. - I'm still working on the Model 41 myself and I think I'm making progress.

thanks

..........Widder

Archived