SASS Wire Forum

Remove rear sights?

Stumpy Joe

Hello all,

I am looking for my second pistol in my SASS rig. I love the feel of the Ruger Blackhawks (old and new). I found this one ... Ruger Blackhawk Flattop 5244 ... and am wondering if it possible to remove the rear sight. If so, does that make the pistol "legal" for SASS shooting? If it doesn't why not? 

I am in learning / acquisition mode and am very interested in learning.

Thank you in advance for your help.

ruger blackhawk flattop.jpg

The SHB (p. 36)  specifies the approved method for conversion of an adjustable-sight revolver to a SASS-LEGAL "Fixed sight" model for categories that require FIXED sights:

Ruger Blackhawk and Ruger Old Army adjustable sight frames may be modified by removing the rear sight assembly, welding up the sight cutout, re-contouring the frame top strap, and cutting a new sight notch to replicate Colt SAA or Vaquero frames.  The ramp front sight must be replaced with a blade-type in order to be allowed as a fixed sight model revolver.

17 minutes ago, Stumpy Joe said:

Hello all,

I am looking for my second pistol in my SASS rig. I love the feel of the Ruger Blackhawks (old and new). I found this one ... Ruger Blackhawk Flattop 5244 ... and am wondering if it possible to remove the rear sight. If so, does that make the pistol "legal" for SASS shooting? If it doesn't why not? 

I am in learning / acquisition mode and am very interested in learning.

Thank you in advance for your help.

ruger blackhawk flattop.jpg

You can use it the way it is but not in every category. I shoot with quite a few shooters that shoot these with the adjustable sights.

I know a lot of shooters who just shoot their Blackhawks in age related categories,  That way the same gun they carry in the woods finds its way to the line.  

All the welding and grinding that it would take to make a Blackhawk pass muster for the other categories would not be cost-effective at all.

Far easier to either use it like it is , or buy the fixed-sight sixguns if you have a hankering to shoot Classic Cowboy , Gunfighter, Duelist , or Frontier Cartridge.

Rex :D

A Flattop Blackhawk is pretty close to a collector's piece!  I strongly recommend NOT modifying it! Either trade it off or sell it, and buy either an Old Model Vaquero or a New Model Vaquero.  I see two cylinders in your photo. What cartridges can your gun shoot? I don't recall any of the Flattops being made with convertible cylinders, unless they were .357 and 9mm.  Puzzling...is this a 3-screw or a New Model, which should have the sight-protecting hump on the topstrap.  :huh:

3 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Puzzling...is this a 3-screw or a New Model, which should have the sight-protecting hump on the topstrap. 

If it were a 3 screw, it'd have "3 screws" holding the inside guts.  The one in the picture has 2 pins. 

20 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

If it were a 3 screw, it'd have "3 screws" holding the inside guts.  The one in the picture has 2 pins. 

Hmm!  It is interesting that the frame is a Flattop, yet a New Model Blackhawk.  With that low of a serial number, it could be a rarity, utilizing a leftover frame, prior to drilling the holes for the 3 screws.  That has been done on other guns, notably the transition pieces  of the Remington Over/Under Double Derringers between the Third Model (Remington Arms Co.) and the early Fourth Model (Remington-UMC) with no "L" prefix in their serial numbers.  You still may have something that would interest early Ruger collectors.

Howdy,

Take a closer look.

That is a later ruger.  Long sn with a -.

This is NOT an early flattop.

This was made around 2010 and in 95% condition might be worth $400 or  so.

Actually the Vaquero exists because so many pards did ezzactly what he suggests.

It is far better to just buy the vaquero and sell the Blackhawk.

Or shoot classes where the  Blackhawk  is legal as is.

People who have no clue what its going to cost suggest modifications all the time.

Sure its cool to say you have a custom gun but do the math, shop a little........

And remember modifications almost always ruin the  collectability of that piece.

Best

CR

3 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Hmm!  It is interesting that the frame is a Flattop, yet a New Model Blackhawk.  With that low of a serial number, it could be a rarity, utilizing a leftover frame, prior to drilling the holes for the 3 screws.  That has been done on other guns, notably the transition pieces  of the Remington Over/Under Double Derringers between the Third Model (Remington Arms Co.) and the early Fourth Model (Remington-UMC) with no "L" prefix in their serial numbers.  You still may have something that would interest early Ruger collectors.

They are not particularly rare.  I think Ruger made a run of them for 50th anniversary.   Then more special runs for big distributers. 

PS,   I did a search of a popular gun auction board for Ruger Flatop and came up with 118.  357, 357-9mm combo, 44 special, 45 Colt,  45Colt-45ACP combo,  stainless steel, regular grip and Bisley, in all common barrel length and grip material options. 

Archived