SASS Wire Forum

My wife went on a hog hunt last year in Texas. They brought in a bunch of hogs in a trailer and released them. Then, they hazed them by the hunters and the hunters  started shooting at them. She said some were wounded, they were bleeding and had broken legs and they ran off. Few hunters actually got their hogs. She packed up her stuff and came home. In other words, make sure it's a reputable ranch, this one was not. Belle doesn't mind hunting, she does not like to watch animals suffer.

A friend of mine goes to Tennessee every year with a group. They stay for weekend lodging food and hunting $750. They guarantee a hog and they butcher it for you. If you want I can text him and find out the name. I know the Tennessee hogs are big

Guest Grass Range #51406

I was in touch with someone in Tx last year but a broken ankle changed my plan. He said butchering and wrapping were not required. Another contact said it was but I could give the meat away. If they are varmits and causing all the problems they are said to cause I just want to shoot and leave them like we do prairie dogs.

7 hours ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

A friend of mine goes to Tennessee every year with a group. They stay for weekend lodging food and hunting $750. They guarantee a hog and they butcher it for you. If you want I can text him and find out the name. I know the Tennessee hogs are big

I think the TN, GA and Alabama hogs have a reputation for being big.  

In some of the areas that have some of the better hunts, the hunter sometimes has to tromp thru a laurel thicket and run em out.

Some folks hunt them with dogs.

Some states require a minimal caliber so you will want to verify that info if you travel for the hunt.

TN  allows hunting with a pistol, but I don't think I would go after any around here with anything less than a hot 10mm pistol or big bore revolver.

..........Widder

Amazing to hear of a "hunt" where they release hogs! Feral hogs are tearing up the West and California....

I went on one hog hunt in Sonoma county Cal a few years back, in the fantastic rugged Russian River country. We never saw a hog, alas. But this was oak woodlands, and essentially the entire forest floor was plowed up by acorn-rooting wild boars. That itself was a sight to behold.

I've hunted them in Texas a bunch of times. I usually hunt them in the Spring so I can hunt turkey too. I usually like to shoot a sow in the 125 to 150# range as they are the best eating. It is some of the finest wild game meat I have tasted, definitely worth saving for the table. The place I hunted was a friend place, about 2000 acres. We hunted in an elevated blind and he had corn feeders. Lots of them critters. Unfortunately he sold out and left Texas a couple of years ago.

I would get in touch with Texas wildlife Department and ask them for references You could also call local sporting goods & gun shops.

Archived