SASS Wire Forum

ACES scoring program questions...

I loaded the new IOS for my IPAD it the ACES program came up as no longer working and that the program needed to be updated to work, anyone else have that problem?

I also use an android tablet for scoring, do the updates cause the SW not to work when it is refreshed?  I have not loaded any new SW on them for fear of things not working.

Great program, hate to see things fall apart due to new technology.

Thanks for your help,

I hate to see the ACES program abandoned like that. It was such a plus for making scoring easy for everyone. Now we will be forced by the other scoring programs to use theirs.

Practiscore works well, and unlike ACES it has sponsors with deep pockets to keep it maintained. ACES was great but the developer lacked the funding necessary to keep it up to date.

Practiscore has been very receptive to changes and bug fixes to make SASS scoring work better..

Practiscore and Aces were created by the same company owned by Pit Viper.  However, Aces has not been updated in years and there is no plan to do so.

Practiscore has been modified to be more compatible with CAS and further changes are in the works.

Practiscore has some differences, but is an easy transition.  As mentioned by Toranado, there was a rencent thread on Practiscore.

It is my understanding that Aces continues to work on Androids.

NN

I did a search on the App store. There appears to be 3 App's by the name Practiscore. All 3 are by NiftyBytes (I think that was Pit Viper's Co.). Just wondering which one to use.

Thanks Rusty

Yes, NiftyBytes is Pit Viper’s company and created Aces and Practiscore.

I am using Practiscore Utilities which does most of what Aces did, and a whole lot more.

Matchbook is a program that lists matches that are available.

Competitor is a program to compare your performance to others.

NN

Any one who thinks that a small market software program will continue for years to be kept running and updated and supported - with the RAPID change in the Internet and computer systems and phone and tablets that we now see - is stark raving mad.  Especially when the software was sold for a very low price or even provided free.

:lol:

The key to keeping up with this rate of change is - to abandon what used to work (when it starts to falter) and find the best of what works now.    With all the benefits of rapid change comes a need to be continually willing to adapt to that change.  So, switch to Practiscore.

From a pard who works in this change-loaded computer environment every day.  GJ

18 hours ago, Flash said:

I hate to see the ACES program abandoned like that. It was such a plus for making scoring easy for everyone. Now we will be forced by the other scoring programs to use theirs.

Good grief!

I don't think the term.... "Abandoned" is appropriate at all here!

To develop a product and make it available for FREE to fellow shooters, asking only for donations is pretty "Stand up" as far as I'm concerned.

Last year when ACES was being discussed regularly on the forum, I remember one post where the member couldn't believe that ACES was no longer being supported since people were donating to the cause.  He seemed rather proud of the fact that their local club had donated a whopping $10 to ACES the past year!

Garrison Joe,

I totally understand the SW side of things, been doing it since '67, SR Principle SW Engineer III.  I know how hard things can get and things fail at the wrong time.  I don't have a problem with things not being maintained but do have with the no notice or end of support thing.  I have been on both sides of the problem so I understand.

My question, not a complaint, was if there was anything out there to replace it.  Seems like mixed feelings about PractiShoot so I will try things and see how they are.

If you want to see and talk to a real support type then talk to Alan about ROUNDUP.  He built it and maintains it and handles special request for clubs.  His SW is really good but it follows the older data entry of the scores.  He built a great interface for ACES and things work smoothly.  I had just done one state shoot using both and was very happy.  Now things are changing again, That's life.

Thanks to all for the help, I will keep trying things and see if I can work some magic from all of the chaos.

Happy Trails

"ACES didn't give notice that it was not going to be updated to the newer iOS version?"

Think I saw that kind of notice right here on the SASS wire several times starting about 3 or 4 years ago.....   I give them lots of credit for trying.  The business model apparently didn't put enough money on the table to make it work as a CAS only scoring program.    So, they've expanded the concept and adapted it to work pretty well with many shooting competition types, and asked for a better cash flow from users.   All in all, good stuff. 

As is the approach that Appy Alan and ROUNDUP has followed. 

And kudos to the success that CD Tom has with the SASS scoring program.

Hat off to all those fellers and you too. 

Good luck, and may you SCORE a program that RANKS highly with your Cowboys.

Good luck (and keep your bits about you), GJ

7 hours ago, Deadeye George said:

Good grief!

I don't think the term.... "Abandoned" is appropriate at all here!

To develop a product and make it available for FREE to fellow shooters, asking only for donations is pretty "Stand up" as far as I'm concerned.

Last year when ACES was being discussed regularly on the forum, I remember one post where the member couldn't believe that ACES was no longer being supported since people were donating to the cause.  He seemed rather proud of the fact that their local club had donated a whopping $10 to ACES the past year!

We'll excuse the hell out of me!

Archived