SASS Wire Forum

Frontiersman setups

Bittertrigger

Dawg like said at the beginning of this thread thank you and thank you to everyone who has responded 

you all have got this old brain fired up and I have got my plan laid out on my set up 

I always listen to those that know take the advice given and make it my own 

thank you

16 minutes ago, Bittertrigger said:

By the 5 stage those short ramming rods had my hands a little sore 

I had my '51's cut down to 4.75" which resulted in short rammers.  I bought a Slix extension (has to be slightly modified for a Navy) and solved that problem with ease.

I have found that the 11” canvas tool bag from Harbor Freight for $7.00 serves my needs as a Cap & Ball possible bag.  It easily holds my powder flask, balls, wads, extra caps, etc., including the loading stand that I made.

After shooting the stage and securing my long guns in my cart, I will grab the bag and head to an empty LT or UT at an adjacent stage, or work the UT of the stage I just shot.  As others have mentioned, I too can load both Remington 1858’s within two shooters.

I also keep a rag, dampened with water, mixed with a little bit of Dawn, in a Zip-Loc in my bag and pop out the cylinders after they are loaded (since it is so fast and easy to do on an 1858 :)) and wipe down the cylinder, frame and base pin.  Keeps them running smooth for each stage.  (Thank you Nomore Slim for that excellent tip!)

I use the new Polish Capper to cap my pistols at the LT, and made a leather sheath to stash it on my gun belt for easy access.

Capture.JPG

What have I created!!!!  Invite you to shoot Plainsman ONE TIME!!!

Glad your enjoying it!! Are you shooting this weekend at T-Bone's?  

As it stands, I should be back home by Friday.  Just waiting on the word on how the flight went.  It flew last night, but wasn't able to check out all the work that was done.  Limey and I are planning to be there, just not to sure about shooting.  I might be smokeless using Limeys ammo, but we'll have to see.

I also use the Powder Inc  attached to the top of my cart. One thing I did was replace the roll pin on the plunger with a nail that I cut the sharp end off. That way I could take a nipple out and use it to remove a loaded cylinder.

JJ

Irish mike's post made me wonder what you guys do when a reload is required.  Do you normally skip it?  As I understand, if a pistol reload is required, you can have the last cylinder charged and just cap it on the clock.  Is it OK to always charge all 6 cylinders as long as you only cap 5?  I don't know why you'd do that unless you're going for a clean match, but could you? 

Good Afternoon:

You load all six cylinders & cap 5 at the loading table.

When it comes time to shoot your pistols, BEFORE you fire your first pistol round, you cap the 6th chamber.

You do this even if the stage instructions tell you to reload after shooting 5 rounds.

Because, firing a cap gun with an uncapped charged cylinder tends to cause chain fires.

It is a special exception, only for percussion revolver shooters.

--Dawg

Archived