SASS Wire Forum

Admiration for Browning

Having recently purchased a take down model '97 . . . . I'm more impressed than ever with Browning's genius.   What a fantastic designer of guns !  :)

This is the first I've ever handled a '97.    I seem to recall hearing somewhur / sometime that the left extractor is a common failure part ? . . . Is it good to have a spare ?  What other spares are good to have on hand ?   I also see a replacement firing pin that is spring loaded available.  Is that a good modification ?

I'm not going to shoot  "Wild Bunch" with this '97.   Just "Gang Bangers".    Midway had a special on Sellier & Bellot  12 ga. buckshot.  I got 2 boxes.  If I test fire two rounds.   Then I'll have enough left for 48 "Gang Bangers"  . . . . . I don't figure to waste ammunition by shooting any gang banger more then once.  :P

Volfgang

I know what you mean.  After years of repro guns, I bought an original 97, and I could feel the difference immediately.  It screams "authentic", and makes you wish for more like it.  Even the patina of age and use seems more desirable than the shiny finish on the new imported guns.  

Enjoy!!

LL

1 minute ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Volfgang

I know what you mean.  After years of repro guns, I bought an original 97, and I could feel the difference immediately.  It screams "authentic", and makes you wish for more like it.  Even the patina of age and use seems more desirable than the shiny finish on the new imported guns.  

Enjoy!!

LL

Yep :)    The same with my original Remingtons . . . . . after a few years with Pietta's.   

John Browning was indeed a mechanical genius when it comes to firearms design and many of the guns made today still use elements & ideas invented by JMB.

As to the 97 and spare parts:  Left & right hand extractor, the ejector (the little L shaped spring on the outside of the receiver on the left side, the screw for the action hook on the bolt and if it is a C model (3 screws holding the wood forend on to the action bar) a replacement forend.  

http://thesmithshop.com has upgraded parts for the Left hand extractor & ejector and the hook screw.

I recommend that you get an extra Ejector of good quality! I don't use my 97s for WB, just for trap, cowboy clays, 5 stand etc..... and I have had an Ejector fail on me , at EOT of all times! A couple of World Champion WB guys have both told me that they change out Ejectors before a match! Yea, real 97s do have a feel about them!

The other thing to check is the chamber length of yours, as earlier guns are cut for 2 5/8 ", and late guns for 2 3/4" shells.

There will be more knowledgeable types that will shed light on the chamber lengths. My later E models are set up for 2 3/4", and my early C prefix {1900} had shorter chamber and has been reamed many years ago. AT 117 years old, its still my favorite!;)

I have had the extractor replaced as well, but only once in the last 10 years! Guns used for WB may need extractors service more frequently perhaps.

It doesn't hurt to have a spare hook screw, but just remember to check it and keep it tight as part of regular maintenance on 97s

Have fun with it, 97s are a blast :)

Although I shoot the IAC 97, I agree that JMB was a genius in the firearms he created.

It seems that both the Winchester brand and the IAC models are getting a little more difficult to buy at reasonable prices.

And some of the high quality (LNIB) Win 97's are bringing some very nice prices, atleast for the seller.   

Shooting the 97 is a blast and its fun to watch all the different methods used in shooting the 97 during a Cowboy match.

..........Widder

7 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

What is "Gang Bangers"? 

The guys shooting their pistols sideways while hitting nothing and wearing their ball caps turned to the side. 

3 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

The guys shooting their pistols sideways while hitting nothing and wearing their ball caps turned to the side. 

Don't forget their pants pulled down below their butts....... :(

..........Widder

Just now, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Don't forget their pants pulled down below their butts....... :(

..........Widder

I was trying to not picture it.... Thanks....

7 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

What is "Gang Bangers"? 

"Gang Bangers" is the common name for criminal street gang members.   Also for short called "Bangers".

whur do you live that you do now know what "Gang Bangers" means ? . . . . Must be a nice place to life.   

8 hours ago, Chantry said:

John Browning was indeed a mechanical genius when it comes to firearms design and many of the guns made today still use elements & ideas invented by JMB.

As to the 97 and spare parts:  Left & right hand extractor, the ejector (the little L shaped spring on the outside of the receiver on the left side, the screw for the action hook on the bolt and if it is a C model (3 screws holding the wood forend on to the action bar) a replacement forend.  

http://thesmithshop.com has upgraded parts for the Left hand extractor & ejector and the hook screw.

Thank you.   I will order spare parts.

Archived