SASS Wire Forum

Dang shotgun!

Three Foot Johnson

... Darne shotgun, I mean. ;)

I've wanted to pick one of these up for some time and finally found one I could justify. Very nice condition, licensed Darne pattern, 12g. Gotta get the old roll crimper out and make some 2 1/2" shells for it now. The seller had it advertised as a 20g, but his eyes apparently aren't sighted in very well. :lol: Extractors, no ejectors, so I can even shoot it in a match one of these days.

Darne.jpg

Looks like your putting that new FFL to good use .

Congratulations on your new toys .

Rooster 

Five and a half years ago, and you've never shot it? There was a new shooter here on the Wire a couple days ago who needed a shotgun... I don't remember who it was. Put it on the classifieds for $250, and somebody will snap it up.

13 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I've wanted to pick one of these up for some time and finally found one I could justify. Very nice condition, licensed Darne pattern, 12g. Gotta get the old roll crimper out and make some 2 1/2" shells for it now. The seller had it advertised as a 20g, but his eyes apparently aren't sighted in very well. :lol: Extractors, no ejectors, so I can even shoot it in a match one of these days.

Darne.jpg

ENVY!

On 10/17/2017 at 5:58 PM, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Darne.jpg

I have a Darne copy in 16g, engraved receiver, but the stock is hideous.  It's a fun gun to shoot and I'll shoot mine with BP on a fairly regular basis at SASS matches.

On 10/17/2017 at 7:51 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

We share a weakness for shotguns Bro, nice score!! :)

I've fallen into an unintentional habit of seeking out unusual shotguns - there seem to be many more oddball designs than with rifles. I've got a Remington 1900 16g with beautiful Damascus barrels, two of my 10 gauges are 1889 Remingtons, also with beautifully patterned barrels, a double barrel hammer Davenport 12g, a Fox Patent Side Swing 10g, and now this Darne. :)

I've read a lot about these the past couple days, and one thing I find confusing is a recurring statement that they were all made with ejectors. There is an extractor at the breech, just like any double barrel, that pulls the hulls out an eighth of an inch or so, then there are extractor claws on the bolt face that pull them the rest of the way out of the chambers as the breech block is drawn back, but the shells just lay there when fully extracted - there is nothing that tosses them free of the action. The extractor claws on the breech block face are what are being referred to as "ejectors". So... for the purposes of Cowboy Action, are they ejectors or not?

This isn't mine, but shows the extractor claws that are being called ejectors, as well as the ejectors that this one is also optioned with.

Darne01.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:37 PM, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Five and a half years ago, and you've never shot it? There was a new shooter here on the Wire a couple days ago who needed a shotgun... I don't remember who it was. Put it on the classifieds for $250, and somebody will snap it up.

I was asked for pictures of the Stevens. I hope this works. I tried to get a good shot down the bore, but kept missing the right angle....the bore is clean with no pitting or rust. And the top of the washer is in a room with the best lighting to take pictures in. And I dug out a Pink towel incase ladies want to see it.;)

Stevens 311 003.JPG

Stevens 311 002.JPG

Stevens 311 005.JPG

6 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I've fallen into an unintentional habit of seeking out unusual shotguns - there seem to be many more oddball designs than with rifles. I've got a Remington 1900 16g with beautiful Damascus barrels, two of my 10 gauges are 1889 Remingtons, also with beautifully patterned barrels, a double barrel hammer Davenport 12g, a Fox Patent Side Swing 10g, and now this Darne. :)

I've been buying British hammered shotguns from the late 1860's to 1900 and there is a lot of design variations between makers.  Side levers, under levers and top levers with variations within each of those groups and I've lost track of the ways the forearm is attached to the frame.

I never thought I would end up buying so many shotguns, some how it is SASS's fault! :D

32 minutes ago, Chantry said:

... I've lost track of the ways the forearm is attached to the frame.

I never thought I would end up buying so many shotguns, some how it is SASS's fault! :D

It took me awhile to find someone who knew how the fore end came off the side swing 10g.

27 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

It took me awhile to find someone who knew how the fore end came off the side swing 10g.

And the French being the French, the fore end remains on a Darne and it's the barrels that come off.  :lol:

Archived