SASS Wire Forum

Sintered or Frangible Bullets

Big Rock, SASS #44055

I will probably be flamed for this, but go ahead, flame away.

Yes I know: SHB page 12, "... It must be all lead....."   With the way some ranges, thankfully not all yet, but some, and the trend running towards lead free and all of that, might there be a study or comparison of sintered or frangible bullets being used in place of "It must be lead"?

One reason being, you can almost that is ALMOST not actually doing it, shoot frangible bullets ALMOST point-blank on a steel target and get little to no splash back.  I do have a couple nice scars on my face where I had to have chunks of lead removed from being a spotter and my own bullets, from the increasing tendency of closer and closer targets at matches.

Anyone shoot them from cowboy guns?  I looking at doing my own testing if I can ever find the time.

We use a lot of frangible bullets when  practicing "cave clearing" here in the mine. They do NOT like to be roll crimped. Taper crimped like in modern center fire rifle and semi-auto pistol cases they work fine.  Most CAS rounds are roll crimped and unless the bullet has a crimp groove the tend to fail when roll crimped.

The ones I've priced are pretty expensive, (almost prohibitively) for those of us who are on a budget.

Not during our shoots when I did shoot a couples years ago, rifle and pistol shots were the culprits, not shotguns!  Not sure if it is the same now but since my club is still using the same targets I don't see why it wouldn't be. 

8 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers, SASS# 25439 said:

Not during our shoots when I did shoot a couples years ago, rifle and pistol shots were the culprits, not shotguns!  Not sure if it is the same now but since my club is still using the same targets I don't see why it wouldn't be. 

Then it's the targets/stands causing this-NOT the projectile.

OLG

Feasible, but cost prohibitive and supply is a problem - especially as reloader components.

Next hi-tech suggestion?

Good luck, GJ

Only target faces in perfect shape should be used closer than the SASS guidelines, IMHO.   No pock marks, not bent, no extra holes.   Great AR500 steel at a top-forward angle of about 10 degrees, and you can get pretty close.

Why not move the targets a little further away? Angle the plates slightly downwards, so the projectile should deflect downwards into the ground.

My RO/timer was hit with my ricochet once. he dropped the timer but I kept on to finish the stage.

The distance to the targets is NOT the problem.  Physics is the problem.  Many ranges refuse to accept targets MUST be hung at a negative angle to deflect the projectile DOWN and REBAR is the WORST possible material for target stands.

Archived