SASS Wire Forum

I found Clays Powder on the shelf

For the first time in several years, I found Clays powder on the shelf at the local Sportsman's Warehouse!  They charged $22.99 for a 1 pound can.  They even had 8 pound jugs.   All the powders were available and in good quantity.  Shelves were full; no holes.   Horray!  Horray!!

Okay...I need a little clarification here. Maybe you can help me Birdgun.

There is Clays, Universal, and Universal Clays. Are they 3 different powders or one and the same?

By the way, Ain't it great the powder shortage appears to be over?...or at least the hoarding is close to an end...

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

There is Clays, Universal, and Universal Clays. Are they 3 different powders or one and the same?

There are only 2 powders in your question. Clays, and Universal, which is referred to being part of the "Clays" technology! Hodgdon supplies some good products, but They do make it confusing with similar names! 

Take look at the Hodgdon smokeless products on their website, lots of useful info there!:)

33 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

There are only 2 powders in your question. Clays, and Universal, which is referred to being part of the "Clays" technology! Hodgdon supplies some good products, but They do make it confusing with similar names! 

Take look at the Hodgdon smokeless products on their website, lots of useful info there!:)

Thank you Capt. I did look at the site and thought I had it straight but then I talked with a guy at Cabela's recently that told me they were all one and the same powder. You see, I have been using Universal for my pistol reloading since I couldn't get my hands on Unique for the longest time. I actually think I like Universal better now. Anyway I knew that there used to be a powder called "Universal Clays" and I knew there was also a "Clays" powder and I believe "Universal" was the last powder in that confusing trilogy. But the guy at Cabela's told me that they were the same powder and to load them the same way. I told him that I thought he was mistaken but since I wasn't sure I didn't push it, and I didn't buy the Clays powder he was offering. I just walked away.

I guess I have another post for the "things you hear in a gun store thread".

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Ranger, it has been in Oregon as well. Unique is still hard to come by though. Trail Boss, not so much.

Grafs has had a stock of 1 lb Unique all along.   I've been waiting to get another 8lb jug and they have always been out.  I see they have it in stock again in all three sizes.  MidwayUSA list 1 lb jars. 

Grafs also list Hodgdon Clays in all sizes. The 4 lb jug on sale.  

1 hour ago, Captain Clark said:

Just to add to the confusion , there is also International Clays , supposedly useful in shotshell loading. Have never used it myself , but have used a good bit of the other two. Pat Riot , that clerk you talked to was totally full of it , he needs some serious lessons about reloading components , or else just keep his mouth shut.

Universal Clays is a pretty good substitute for Unique if you can't find it.

Happy loading , Rex :D

Apologies to Birdgun for getting off track. :blush:

8 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Grafs has had a stock of 1 lb Unique all along.   I've been waiting to get another 8lb jug and they have always been out.  I see they have it in stock again in all three sizes.  MidwayUSA list 1 lb jars. 

Grafs also list Hodgdon Clays in all sizes. The 4 lb jug on sale.  

I never buy powder on line. I find the cost of shipping, haz-mat and product usually doesn't come out as a savings in the end BUT I am considering changing my thinking on this as I am tired of looking fir the powders I want when I want them. Good example; Accurate Powders 5744. I haven't found it any store here locally. When I ask I get the same response, "No, good luck finding it."

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I never buy powder on line. I find the cost of shipping, haz-mat and product usually doesn't come out as a savings in the end BUT I am considering changing my thinking on this as I am tired of looking fir the powders I want when I want them. Good example; Accurate Powders 5744. I haven't found it any store here locally. When I ask I get the same response, "No, good luck finding it."

I have bought Alliant BlackMZ from Sportsmans Warehouse online because it's still the least expensive black powder sub out there - even with HASMAT and shipping.  

Grafs is just up the road from us,  MidwayUSA is an easy 40 minute drive.  

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Pat, it was this type of Clays.

https://www.natchezss.com/media/catalog/product/H/D/HDCLAYS8.jpg

It has taken a looooooong time for Hodgdon to get this powder back on the market after the factory accident in Australia.  I think, not sure, that they moved the factory to Canada.

Okay Pards, Thank you. 

SO technically, I made the right call walking away from the Cabela's guy that was wrong.

Archived