SASS Wire Forum

Event name on awards

Gus 'Buck' Silver

At a state level and above SASS event, does it matter to you if the awards include the name of the event, e.g., State Championship, Regional, Divisional, or is just the name of the sponsoring club acceptable?

This is not a hypothetical question. The first time I placed in the top three of my category at a state level+ SASS event, not a common occurrence, the award did not include the name of the event. I was disappointed. Would it matter to you?

Yeah....basically what you received was a reusable award.  Did it hav a date?  If not, give it back to them and tell them to use it again.

It should have the event name and date IMO. Especially if it is a sanctioned major match. Using an engraved sticker would allow the reuse of awards that are not used. The Western Regional give beautiful buckles.... if for some reason the expensive buckles are not awarded, the company will un-solder and replace the dates for a very small fee. The cost of awards can get out of hand if allowed to by the issuing club. I don't agree with putting huge amounts of money into awards.

Snakebite

Hi Buck!

Different things are important to different people.

A couple of years ago, I went through my plaques and tossed all but the firsts. Yes, I actually had quite a few, especially Plainsman Side Match  as I have been the only woman many times. I only have two out, they are like Olympic medals on ribbon, all of the others are in boxes. I have no clue where Hubby's are, except the really pretty laser cut one from, I think it was Winter Range. I have it in my box.

I do agree that the match name and year should be on the award. I can remember writing that on the backs of some I got years ago. There really isn't much you can do about it unless you write the Match Director and hope they are willing to listen.

I hope to see you at the CA State or W. Regional Matches.

Regards,

Allie

I understand the need to economize on award expenses and to be able to recycle them for future events if not used, but that’s not my point. IMHO, if an award is for a SASS event at state level or above, it should say so.  Third place out of fifteen in my category at a major match means more to me than first place out of two at a local annual.

The match in question is top notch overall and the first place buckles are beautiful and DO include the name of the event, but the standard category award medallions only have the club name, category, year and placement (1st, 2nd, 3rd) for the top three, and a generic “Top Ten” for 4th thru 10th. I guess I’m just going to have to get better and win a buckle. :)

19 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

A couple of years ago, I went through my plaques and tossed all but the firsts.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:54 AM, Snakebite said:

I don't agree with putting huge amounts of money into awards.

Perhaps the solution is to only offer first place awards. :)

20 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Different things are important to different people.

Point taken.

Well, I think that they hand out too many awards at some matches. It often amounts to a particapation award. JMO.

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

Well, I think that they hand out too many awards at some matches. It often amounts to a particapation award. JMO.

Awards used to mean much more. Buckles were coveted and those wearing them were seen as top guns. Personally, the categories should be broken down into major and minor.

Top ten for major and top three for minor. 

9 hours ago, Snakebite said:

I fail to understand how another shooter winning an award (1st place or participation) diminishes anyone else's enjoyment of a shoot.

As a match director and club President; I struggle every match to balance economics and awards.

But as a shooter?

The more folks that get to be acknowledged and clapped for by their friends and fellow posse members; the better.

Back when I was shooting better than I do now, I lucked into a few major match category wins and a few category state championships, so personally, I don't really need that 5th place recognition.

But for another, that placement or award may be the highlight of their cas career. Why begrudge them a moment in the sun?

If the awards ceremony is too long or the burden of clapping for an extra two or three folks in each category is too taxing.

There is a solution that will speed the process somewhat...

Let me know prior to the awards ceremony and your award can be the one we skip.

6 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I fail to understand how another shooter winning an award (1st place or participation) diminishes anyone else's enjoyment of a shoot.

As a match director and club President; I struggle every match to balance economics and awards.

But as a shooter?

The more folks that get to be acknowledged and clapped for by their friends and fellow posse members; the better.

Back when I was shooting better than I do now, I lucked into a few major match category wins and a few category state championships, so personally, I don't really need that 5th place recognition.

But for another, that placement or award may be the highlight of their cas career. Why begrudge them a moment in the sun?

If the awards ceremony is too long or the burden of clapping for an extra two or three folks in each category is too taxing.

There is a solution that will speed the process somewhat...

Let me know prior to the awards ceremony and your award can be the one we skip.

I enjoy most all the matches that I attend, and accept that some folks like to get an award for just being there.  They do that in "T" ball. However, I would rather win an award than to just have one given to me for being there. I've only "Lucked"  into one major match win, all the other State and above awards were won... not given to me. Even though I'm pretty much over the hill at this point, I'm still in there trying, and I very much enjoy winning an award, but I don't need or want an award for just showing up, so yeah... you can skip any award for me that is for just being there.  

as mentioned above different folks have different feelings about awards

I was 'lucky' enough to the the awards guy for the black powder state match one time.  There were like 50+ awards and if you figure 1st-3rd (knowing some won't be supported by the number of shooters) it gets into a bit of coin.

It's hard to justify giving a paper certificate telling the folks they'll be getting their trophy in the mail as soon as we have them made after the match (attempt a humor)

God bless the folks who are in charge of this part of the matches (really mean this!)

cr 

forgot something:

that trophy a cowboy wins that is his first sure means a lot to him.

After winning 100-300 hundred, that 3rd place may have lost some of its glamour.

kinda depends where you are in the 'winning trophy' spectrum 

cr

23 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

forgot something:

that trophy a cowboy wins that is his first sure means a lot to him.

After winning 100-300 hundred, that 3rd place may have lost some of its glamour.

kinda depends where you are in the 'winning trophy' spectrum 

cr

I totally agree with this statement. There comes a time after that box of trophy's in the attic has been full for a while that those 3rd place wins start to regain some of their glamour. Being able to move into an older age shooting category really helps to prolong the enthusiasm and glamour.

Snakebite

Archived