SASS Wire Forum

Taylors 1876 45-75

Oh boy, I am no sure I could walk away without the 73, if it's in nice shape. Have you priced a new one? $1,250, thereabouts. Assuming it's the octagon barrel.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/long-guns/cartridge-rifles/1873-lever-action/1873-sporting-rifle-full-octagonal-barrel.html

Brass for the 45-75 used to be a bit tricky, don't know about now. Maybe look around for some before committing? I have an Uberti 45-60, great gun. Best to avoid it if made by Chaparral, I have seen and heard of problems with theirs.

Nothun wrong with Taylor. I've has a Taylor 73 for about 12 years that I bought new. Still shooting great, never had an issue. They are made by Uberti.

Taylors 73's and 76's are Uberti's and that is an absolute steal on those guns, depending on condition. You state the 76 is like new, you could buy it and flip it and make a very good profit. Going by the price comparison of the two, I would assume the 73 is in great shape as well. In essence you are buying two great rifles for less than the price of one.

I imagine the 76 is priced low due to the fact it is mainly a reloading only type of gun as loaded ammo and brass is expensive. But, how many rounds of 45-75 are you gonna shoot at one time? I bought my Uberti 76 in 45-60 and paid about $1300. I was gonna get the 45-75, but had so much 45-70 brass that I could cut down that it only made sense.

The problem with Uberti 1876 45-75s is that they initially got the chambering wrong.  As it turns out, this is no big deal, but it did throw some people for a loop at first.  Both the correct and the "Uberti" chambering will accept identical rounds, and fire-forming will take care of the rest.  Worst case, buy both kinds of sizing die.  

My own 76 has the Uberti chamber, and it's my favorite long gun.  I don't hunt, though, and local matches don't normally give me a chance to shoot it and show it off.

Archived