SASS Wire Forum

New hat

Gallows Hugh Moore

I bought my best hat with the aid of my wife and the hatter. She and I selected the style and he made it happen.

I bought a Stetson for a pretty good buck and was disappointed; I ordered it but it didn't look like the picture when I got it.

I bought 2 "high crown" western hats from Hats by the Hundred in Australia and shaped them myself. They each cost less than $100 and they cost around $15 to ship from Australia. They arrived in less than a month. It took longer to ship from NY to my house than it took to ship from Australia to New York.

They are made from rabbit fur felt and I love'em. The brand name is Akubra. Check You Tube for a video of Akubra hats.

I shaped one into a "Gus" hat and the other into a Charlie Waite style hat.

Hope this helps,

Mo

Gallows Hugh Moore, I have one of those Stetson Seminole hats. You can see it in my avatar. I like it very much. It's comfortable. Sits perfect and it's light. The brim is now rain shaped a little flatter...rain shaped as in getting it wet. It's working it's way into becoming my favorite hat.

Ebay, Goodwill, flea markets are always decent options. I purchased a 5x beaver last summer at a flea market for $5. Cleaned it up with a brush and quickly reshaped it using my wife's steam cleaner and now I have a great hat for less than a fast-food lunch.

Flee markets are great for finding NICE western hats at great prices. Found a LBJ Stetson, purchased in 1973 (still had the bill of sale in the original box) for $20. It was in brand new condition! That one is my Sunday-go-to-meetin' hat.

The one in my avatar is a straw LBJ Stetson I actually paid full price for since for some reason I can't find them in flea markets.

So far have found three great hats at flea markets (well found several more than three) but three that I bought and keep looking for more. Haven't paid more than $25 for those.

If you haven't checked out this source for some of your cowboy accessory stuff, you might want to try. You'll be surprised what you can find.

Flee markets are great for finding NICE western hats at great prices. Found a LBJ Stetson, purchased in 1973 (still had the bill of sale in the original box) for $20. It was in brand new condition! That one is my Sunday-go-to-meetin' hat.

Me too. Found a Stetson LBJ style Silverbelly color at a yard sale. Paid $7 for it. It was badly stained at the peak of the crown where dirty hands kept touching. I sent it to Rands on Montana for cleaning. They said it was too dirty, but could turn the hat inside out. They worked their magic and it is really nice. Total cost including Rands work ....about $60.00.

I need to start shopping at flea markets it seems. I honestly don't think I have ever been to one so perhaps it's time. I don't mind paying good money for a good hat, as I just dropped nearly $500 on a new one. What I hate is the wait time. I was told 4-6 months a couple of months ago and just the other day I was told probably 4-5 months because they are running ahead. Another pard I know said the same outfit told him 4-6 months and it ended up being more like a year. I am not a big fan of waiting, but that seems to be how it is for all the good stuff for this game. I certainly wouldn't mind getting something in between the wait though, so perhaps I will start looking for flea markets in my area

Archived