SASS Wire Forum

Trapdoors

Hoss

Shot with a guy yesterday, shooting a Trapdoor Carbine in Cody Dixon single shot. Kind of caught a little "trapdoor fever". I don't know much about them, are there some better than others? I'm thinking I would want to stay with the carbine model as Cody Dixon targets are typically less than 100 yards. Would also make a good plainsman rifle. Might have to trade in my H&R Buffalo Classic......

I have a used a trapdoor for years and I love it. The biggest problem is the design of a trapdoor is weak and If you put modern ammo in it, it might blow up. The original ones are designed for black powder and you can use low power modern ammo in them, but you have to be carful to insure the pressure does not exceed the design. PMC 45-70 Cowboy loads were made for a trapdoor, but I have not been able to find any for a long time and I used up my last box last fall. I would like to get a carbine for plainsman as my rifle is a bit long and a shorter rifle would most likely work better for that but it works great for long range.

Hoss, I shoot my trapdoors a bunch, both 1873s and 1868s (45-70s and 50-70s). No, they aren't safe with modern hot bear-stopper loads but a case full of ffg will give you enough recoil to know for sure that it went off. I've got a couple carbines but mostly shoot my rifles.Carbines, unless loaded down as was done back in the day, can be quite unpleasant to shoot. I use duplex loads mostly so I don't have to stop and clean but I still get the black powder smoke and smell and the lower cost of ammunition. Best of luck- they are fun.

I would recommend one with the "Buffington" rear sight. They are adjustable for both wind age and elevation. I shoot mine with both Accurate 5744 and black powder out to 1000 yards. At our club our big bore single shot rifle competition is shot 7 shots at each at 300, 400, and 500 yards. The Trap Doors to very well. The trick to accuracy is a bullet that fits the bore.

I agree that the carbines have a very healthy kick. They are a hoot to shoot ! PM me if you want a 5744 load.

Tater

Shoot my great-grandpa's 1884 off my back deck. Boom, set rifle down pick up binoculars look at target surrounded by water and see where the hit is. Target, 1,375 yards away. Takes 4-5 seconds to get there. Big smiles :) Lot's of smoke :)

It ain't that weak of design.

I have a H&R Trapdoor Carbine that I used to hunt a buffalo with.

I use a 405 gr. cast lead bullet with enough IMR-3031 for about 1150 - 1250 fps. I use this load in my Rolling Block also.

Killed two buffalo with this load along with shooting 600 yard matches.

I shoot Trapdoors alot. I only use blackpowder I prefer it this way plus you get an awesome smoke cloud. I would change the latch spring out if you are going to shoot it. It really makes a difference. Wolf springs sells them and they are very affordable.

Here is a link to the spring.

https://www.gunsprings.com/SPRINGFIELD/1873%20TRAPDOOR/cID2/mID60/dID275

I have a Model of 1888 made in 1891 based on stock cartouche. It had been cut to carbine length so I picked it up for $100 back in 1998. Mounted a Lyman 17 globe front and replaced the rear sight with an orginal Buffington. It easily rings steel at 200 yds. My middle son actually took two hogs using Pyrodex loads under a 450 gn Valiant.

I personally have always really lusted after the H & R Officers model. Made with modern steel it is just vastly superior to originals and the purdiest of trapdoors in my eyes.

Just picked a NIB one up before deer season at an estate auction here's a link to see it and what it brought home this season

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208248970810534&set=pcb.10208248971290546&type=3&theater

BTW - used 405gr RNFP, he was out about 200yds. He turned around & took about 6 steps then fell so I did not have to track him.

Charlie

I'll second the trail boss idea. I shot a black bear last fall with a 50-110 wcf with a trail boss load at 1200 fps.

I think he was looking for ideas on brands though.

Any avid shooter, reloader should know not to shoot max Marlin modern 1895 loads in this model made in 1873. Then again..........

Archived