SASS Wire Forum

Removing stock finish

Dustin Checotah

I have a Marlin 336 about 1978 vintage that needs stock refinish. Any suggestions on finish remover that can be used inside this time of year in Maine (cold outside) and does not raise the grain much? I was thinking on replacing with tung oil.

Answer here or PM.

Well, in my experience paint and varnish remover works just fine but you will not want to use it in your home. Any varnish remover will raise the grain somewhat but letting the stock dry after removal will allow the moisture to dissipate and the raised or swelled wood will subside. When I have removed varnish from stocks I have always washed them down afterwards to remove residual paint remover. I use good ol' mild detergent and water and I let it dry naturally for a couple of days indoors without using direct heat.

There are some mild varnish removers that may be safe indoors but in my experience they just plain suck.

I use the Orange Citrus stripping gel. Has a pleasant odor, doesn't harm your skin, comes off with water. From my experience with old Winchester stocks, the wood only raises very slightly. Don't know if it will be the same on your stock but it is something you can use indoors year round. Can pick it up at almost any hardware or home improvement store.

I use the Orange Citrus stripping gel. Has a pleasant odor, doesn't harm your skin, comes off with water. From my experience with old Winchester stocks, the wood only raises very slightly. Don't know if it will be the same on your stock but it is something you can use indoors year round. Can pick it up at almost any hardware or home improvement store.

Plus one on this!

I thought using the citrus stuff was for sissies. So I got the baddest chemical stripper I could find and started using that because I wanted to get the job done in a hurry. Well that was a bad choice, It wouldn't even touch the finish on the Uberti stock, even letting it sit over night.

Then I decided to try the CitriStrip that I had read about somewhere, that had been recommend. I sprayed it on and put the stock in a bag overnight. It was amazing how much finish it took off. I think I did three applications and had it all off without even sanding.

I reapplied the finish with multiple coats of Tru Oil. They even had it in a spray but I rubbed it on.

Plus one on this!

That's good to know Gents. I tried the citrus stuff many years ago and it was useless. I had heard that today's product is much better but I hadn't heard of anyone that has actually used it.

+1 on CitriStrip.

On real hard finishes, like the factory finishes found on SKB shotguns, scratching the factory finish before applying CitriStrip helps the stuff work faster. Don't scratch down into the wood of course, just give the stripper a way to get started into the hard finish. And don't be in a hurry; let it dry completely before scraping it off. Like Longshot Logan recommended, a wood paint stirrer makes a dandy scraper.

I used just a paint remover on my Marlin, had to use some coarse steel wool to get things going. I don't know what finish Altamont puts on their Ruger grips, but paint remover didn't even touch it, had to use steel wool to get the finish off, I don't like the shiny finish on my handguns and rifle/shotgun. My Norinco shotgun finish was tough to remove also, steel wool again. I put on linseed oil.

I like Tung Oil for a stock finish. It lasts.

And I might add, if you need to touch it up down the road, nothing special to do. May want to lightly buff with steel wool, but really just rub it in!

• Like 1

Good Point, Dirty Dan. I forgot about that.

And I might add, if you need to touch it up down the road, nothing special to do. May want to lightly buff with steel wool, but really just rub it in!