SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 Problem - Any Suggestion?

High Spade Mikey Wilson

Hi pards! Last winter I purchased a Uberti 1873, 24" octagon barrel, 32WCF in like new condition. It's not my main match rifle, but it was something different and I liked it. I take it out maybe twice a year when I decide to shoot a match with some of my firearms that I don't use often. I used it back in the spring and it worked like a champ. Yesterday I went to the line on stage one. The buzzer went off, I picked up the rifle, went to chamber the first round and it jammed. With the lever forward there was a cartridge in the brass carrier but at a slight angle. The lever would not move. Took it to the unloading table, with a small thin screwdriver we push the cartridge in the carrier forward into the magazine so we could close the lever. We cycled the lever again and the same thing happened. We then unloaded the rifle. I got some different ammo, reloaded it at the loading table, went to the line, and the same thing happened. I switched to a different rifle and completed the match. After I got home I looked it over, loaded 3 rounds into it and it worked flawlessly. I loaded 5 rounds into it and again it worked flawlessly. I put 10 rounds into it and it was right back to the same jam problem. A round goes into the carrier, but it looks like it is slightly cocked at an angle and the carrier won't move. It doesn't look like the round in front of it in the magazine is coming into the carrier and pushing against the nose of the one in the carrier, but I really can't say 100% that it's not as the space down there for that caliber is so small to see. I took off the magazine spring plug and emptied the rifle. Any suggestions on what might be the problem before I take it to the gunsmith? Thanks!

Too much spring. Had the same problem with a 38/357. The spring gets bound up when it is too long and a full load is put in the tube. I cut off a bullet lengths worth at a time until the problem went away. (Took about 4 lengths off) No problem since. Slicks tube might solve it too, but will cost much more.

Al

You might try cleaning the tube really good.If it is the same OAL as the last time you shot it.The spring don't get stronger or longer.

Had the same problem with my 20" 32-20. When the round on the carrier is cocked at an angle the rim catches under the the edge of the carrier mortice in the frame. Some will tell you there is a sharp edge there where Uberti failed to bevel the edge (and that WAS a problem on some of the guns a few years back), but that was not it. The mag tube is the same as on the .45's, so is much too big diameter for a .32 and the rounds go in zigzag. Cutting the spring to minimal length helps, but the mag tube liner as mentioned by John Barleycorn helped the most. At the loading table after loading ten, the last round is usually still at a partial angle, so I insert the nose of another round into the loading gate to push the rim of that last round to the left. This works much more easily with the tube liner. That liner is designed for .38's but it still makes a big difference. You might try shortening your spring to see how it works and if it doesn't help enough, the liner comes with a new slightly smaller diameter spring.

What Abilene said. Plus. Look real hard at the front edge of the back wall of the Mortice. It would have a nice bevel. Some years back we had to bevel almost EVERY rifle. That bevel is VERY important. If the bevel is missing, too light, or only half way across, fix it with a small file. As Said above, for a 32-20, the magazine liner is a big plus.

Thanks to all who replied. I had a chance to inspect the rifle last evening with your suggestions. Sure enough there is no bevel on the mortice only a real sharp edge. I put enough cartridges in to cause the one in the carrier to cock and it did indeed get hung up on the mortice edge. When I took a screwdriver and straightened the cartridge it came up fine. I'm going to bevel that edge and purchase a straightening tube. Hopefully that will end it. Thanks for all of your help!!

The bevel will probably be all you need, but I run one of Boogie's tubes just for extra piece of mind.

In case you would like pictures and instructions, here's Pioneer's page on their tech notes:

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/technical-info/

Look for 73/66 toggle feeding problem instructions

Yep, the mortise bevel is free to fix. The mag liner tube, costs you some funds.

Good luck, GJ

Those instructions are what I used to fix one of my rifles that would do just like his, feed with less than 10, but hard to work with 10. I used one of the tubes and it helped, but still would feel odd every once in a while. The bevel fixed it completely.

Adding in the missing bevel will certainly help, but 32-20 still benefits mucho from the tube liner, much more so than .38's. It also makes it easier just loading the rifle.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE - I took the rifle to my local gun shop who happens to be a SASS member specializing in cowboy action. His gunsmith who specializes in cowboy firearms beveled the mortice. She now cycles as smooth as silk through all 10 rounds. Problem solved! Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Archived