SASS Wire Forum

Are Gun Magazines Boring?

One reason they are boring is the new guns are boring to me.

The main reason why I only subscribe to magazines that I have firearms of the era in the safe!

* the Black Powder Cartridge News

* The Single Shot Exchange

This month's issue is a 4 page article about a newly discovered 993 digit Colt Walker in mint condition!

* Single Shot Rifle Journal

And The Fouling Shot for the reload information using cast bullets

Larsen you are spot on! I too am down to QST (ham radio's ARRL, same as the NRA but for hams) American Riflemanand the CC and that's it. I was a subscriber to Guns & Ammo since the 1970's along with about six or wight of the others, Guns, American Handgunner, Shooting Times...yeah I got practically all of them.

A big push to dump'em all was my retirement; downsizing, you see. Another was I hated, absolutely HATED getting six, eight ten mailings a year on renewing my subscription. Getting faked out a couple times didn't help either. But other than a few editorials which, surprisingly I don't miss as much as I thought I would, I certainly don't miss reading about 9mm V 45, auto V revolver or what's the new-hottest oddball caliber/rifle/handgun. I got enough oddballs thank you very much and then there's tactikool.Not.

I can see going backc to an electronic subscription...maybe but so far, everything I need/want to know is already out there online.

Shoot fire, everything I need to know is right here on the Wire, with such fine pards as Larsen and Don and Nate and DJ and..... dang, it will take too long to list em all!

The mags I look at the most are stainless single-stack 1911 jobs. :lol: Those glossy paper rags are so darn repetitive - each writer must be submitting his article with minor changes to all 15 of them. As well, there's never a gun that has ANYTHING wrong with it, according to the authors. Advertisers rule, I guess.

Good luck, GJ

The main reason why I only subscribe to magazines that I have firearms of the era in the safe!

* the Black Powder Cartridge News

* The Single Shot Exchange

This month's issue is a 4 page article about a newly discovered 993 digit Colt Walker in mint condition!

* Single Shot Rifle Journal

And The Fouling Shot for the reload information using cast bullets

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see about getting some of those. I'm in the camp that the right magazines are not boring to me. Those have to be about old west guns, though. I agree with the other poster that new guns are boring to me.

Howdy

When I was a kid I used to love to read Shooting Times, used to love to read what Skeeter Skelton had to say. Skeeter's been dead a long time now, and the only gun magazine I buy regularly these days is American Handgunner, mostly to see what John Taffin has to say, and see if Mike Venturino is still wearing goofy helmets.

Absolutely the most boring periodicals ever. I use to get Guns, Guns & Ammo, Shooting times, and others that I cant remember. I quit every one of them when the cover stories were always about the latest Semi Auto Pistol or semi auto rifle/carbine. or the latest scope. When 12 months worth of mags would have nothing but black guns on the, I let my subscriptions run out. Used to be that gun mags covered a variety of genres in each issue - but no more. The only gun mag I get now is/was GOTOW.

Fingers (show Me MO smoke) McGee

Agree with most of the above. Especially the comments about writers being shills for whatever gun makers give them to test. For goodness sakes I nearly bought a Taurus Lightning once after reading about how good and reliable it was! Quelle Horreur!

Seamus

Shoot fire, everything I need to know is right here on the Wire, with such fine pards as Larsen and Don and Nate and DJ and..... dang, it will take too long to list em all!

The mags I look at the most are stainless single-stack 1911 jobs. :lol: Those glossy paper rags are so darn repetitive - each writer must be submitting his article with minor changes to all 15 of them. As well, there's never a gun that has ANYTHING wrong with it, according to the authors. Advertisers rule, I guess.

Good luck, GJ

Who.....what.....huh? :o

The rule is the gunwriter that says mean things doesn't get another one. (And that special deal you thought you were going to get on such n such? Kiss that sucker buh-bye too! LOL.)

I know a few writers personally and they're not that way and certainly the 'never has anything bad to say even if it really does suck but I'm an optimist' crowd isn't the majority but I've read far too many articles in recent times that just....well, I wasn't a fan. Of course now that I'm "retah-red" I have some um, spare time. Hanging out in gunshops and the range has been somewhat injurious to my wallet...LOL. Maybe I should just hang out in the magazine section at the grocery and read a while.....(nah that wouldn't work, I'd see something I want and with so many gunshops near my house....I'd never win! :P

Archived