SASS Wire Forum

Wilson Combat shotguns

Trigger Mike

Bragging rights with the Wilsons.

If I was going to spend that kind of money on a shotgun it would be a Benelli M2 Tactical.

A Wilson is a Rem 870 with some work done to it. A Rem 870 runs pretty darn good the way it is. Some of the work the Wilson has you can easily do yourself.

Wilson is good no doubt, but that thar sure is a lot of $$$$$$ for a pump gun.

It's hard to beat a Remington 870 with the extended shell tube. You could buy three 870s for the cost of one of those Wilson combat shotguns. Wilson makes some good stuff but it's way overpriced as far as I'm concerned.

My vote would to buy a Remington 870 tactical (7 shot, $480), set it up with tact sights and a flashlight (<$125) and use the best ammo possible. You might have some $$ for tactical training.

My 870 sure is heavy with the extended magazine tube I added.

For the money of the Wilson ($1,540 for their Standard model) you might give thought to building a SBR. It is a very easy project cutting a shotgun barrel and remounting a front sight.

I measured the length of the magazine tube on my Remington 870 and I can go as short as 12" with the barrel and have it flush with the end of the magazine tube.

Ceracoat the gun in the color(s) of your choice.

Add sights of your choice. For a SBR I would probably choose a fiber optic front and forego a rear sight.

With 870 add a oversize magazine safety button.

With the Mossberg you have the advantage of the safety on top of the tang.

Add Synthetic stock and forearm. For "tactical" and investigating the "bump in the night" use you can get a forearm the holds a flashlight.

Since you will be Ceracoating the gun save bucks by buying a used shotgun with finish wear.

Cut and Crown Barrel; Local gunsmith rate

HiViz Fiber Optic Front Sight; $ 19.00 Brownells

Big Speed Oversize Safety Vang Comp Systems (for 870 only); $ 12.00 Brownells

Speed Feed Stock and Forearm set; $ 100.00 Brownells

Ceracoat; starting at $ 160.00 with local company

Federal Tax Stamp; $ 200.00

As you can see you will end up with a very nice customized SBR to your taste for well under the price of the Wilson. Depending on the cost of the shotgun I think you can do this project for less than $1,000 including tax stamp. With $500+ left over you have lots of play dough for another gun or project.

Might also want to check out:

www.aiptactical.com

I will take my Winchester 1897 over all of them :-)

Archived