SASS Wire Forum

140 years ago today

I have recently read two accounts that said that GAC was one of the first soldiers shot in the main battle. Neither claimed that this first shot was the fatal shot. Either way, it must have been ferocious to have been the attacker that was so overwhelmed by 15 to 1.

I do not believe that there was a bog though.

I have recently read two accounts that said that GAC was one of the first soldiers shot in the main battle. Neither claimed that this first shot was the fatal shot. Either way, it must have been ferocious to have been the attacker that was so overwhelmed by 15 to 1.

I do not believe that there was a bog though.

I think that the account inferring that GAC was the first one shot while crossing the river was from an indian account. However if I remember correctly it said that the person shot was wearing a buckskin shirt- GAC according to other reports removed his while they were still up on top so it could have been his brother Tom who took the first shot.

I think that the account inferring that GAC was the first one shot while crossing the river was from an indian account. However if I remember correctly it said that the person shot was wearing a buckskin shirt- GAC according to other reports removed his while they were still up on top so it could have been his brother Tom who took the first shot.

There were a few officers that were wearing buckskin jackets on that expedition. Lt Cooke was one of them, Yates was another. Charlie is right about GAC removing his buckskin jacket before the bullets started flying.

its also my wives birthday.

You know, some of us more snarky/sarcastic cowpokes may take this to mean that your wife was born 140 years ago :D

Might be best to not let her read this one.

its also my wives birthday.

You know, some of us more snarky/sarcastic cowpokes may take this to mean that your wife was born 140 years ago :D

Might be best to not let her read this one.

and some of us might be sarcastic and say "all of them?" But not me, nope.

I didn't catch that the first time I read it. It must have been one of those things where the brain knows what is correct so you don't actually notice the error.

My thought as well.

Guest Grass Range #51406

I have read more accounts on this battle than I can count. My conclusion is no one knows how it went down. In the aftermath the NA were afraid to admit involvement or they would be hung and much later they all wanted notoriety. I just Sat watched the recent annual reenactment of the battle and all I can say is that the home team won again.

If it is like battles that I am familiar with, every participant has his own version of what happened, and an outside observer would conclude that each of them participated in a different campaign.

Archived