SASS Wire Forum

.257 vs. .270?

J-BAR #18287

I have used a .270 Winchester (the plain Jane, not a magnum or WSM) as my whitetail rifle for many years with great success. I recently saw a beautiful .257 Roberts, and got that tingle, you know...

I have never owned a .257 Bob. I can read ballistic tables like anyone else. I would appreciate comments from those who have actually taken Bob hunting. Even better would be comments from those who have taken both the .257 Roberts and the .270 Winchester into the woods and have first hand experience with both.

Thanks if you care to.

The 257 Roberts is a necked down 7mm Mauser Cartridge. It is lighter recoil than the 270.

It will do very well for game up to and past whitetail deer size animals.

In the 250 class for whitetails I prefer the 250-3000 in a good bolt action.

All can reach out well over 300 yards with sufficient energy to get the job done.

If black bear is also on the agenda, I would stay with the 270. The availability of heavier bullets make it a more logical choice.

Had a manlicher ? style Mauser rifle in 257 Roberts that was a sweetheart with 87g Hornady bullets. Worked just fine on caribou out to 150 yards or so. Little bullet didn't do well in the wind and the rifle didn't like heavier bullets. Replaced the rifle with a 25-06 throwing heavier bullets that extended the usable range quite a bit.

J-Bar, when I get serious about comparing two cartridges, the Handloader magazine is a good source. Each month has an article on a specific cartridge that details the history, guns and loads. I remember reading very good articles on both of the rounds. Archived releases can be found online.

There was a comparative article on the .25 family. It stated that the .25-35, .257 Rob, .25-06 and .257 Weatherby were good performers at 100, 250, 350 and 450 yards on medium game. A similar article used 350 yards as the max range for the .270, which implies a close comparison to the .25-06.

used the 2506 a lot and others members of the family have used the 270. I can not tell any difference in the field. Both work. The Bob is just 200 or slower and field results will see similar results. Mother in law used the Bob for mule deer and elk in Colorado and loved the round.

Sounds like you have a perfect reason to pick it up ... go with the tingle.

All in all its bullet placement and maybe, most importantly, bullet design thats most important. I used a 25-06 for 45 years on deer and my buddy uses a Bob. I really can't tell the difference as both of us have enjoyed a modicum of success with them. That said, I've been carrying an old 722 Remington in 300 Savage for the last two years and feel its a superior deer killer to either one of the 25's.

With proper bullets the 25's will do well on all deer but I've just become more confident with bigger tougher bullets. Maybe the Elmer Keith has finally come out in me.

I have shot a 25-06 since the 60's when I was a wildcat called the .25 Nieder. I bought a factory M77 Ruger in 1975 and I have used it since then. I have taken over 50 deer and at least that many antelope with it. As mentioned, shot placement is the most important thing (as it is with all big game hunting!). I have a good friend that shoots a BOB and does well with it. I reload everything I shoot (except rimfire) and believe that optimum results can be achieved and almost all of the current .25's can do very well on deer sized animals and smaller.

J-BAR...buy and and come on out to Colorado and we can pop a mulie or 2! Better yet, Wyoming for Pronghorn. See ya.......

Archived