SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 rifle question

Procedural Pete

Yep. I keep a can of Kasenit around (unobtainable any more, :( ) to reharden these parts when I recut the poor angles that the factory usually cuts into them.

Good luck, GJ

Yep. I keep a can of Kasenit around (unobtainable any more, :( ) to reharden these parts when I recut the poor angles that the factory usually cuts into them.

Good luck, GJ

Mr. Joe, (and perhaps Larsen, although I can ask him FTF)

case hardening these parts after they are worked is a fine thing indeed and if that is your practice, you are a fine man indeed. :) But, are you saying you have found these parts to be hardened from Uberti ? If so, perhaps you have seen something differently than I have. I have not run hardness tests on these parts other than the old "scratch it with a file test." I know you too have seen many of the Uberti Rifle "Kits" but I have not seen anything that I would consider "hardened" in a Uberti Rifle Kit and I am aware that the Uberti folks have often said that it is their opinion that "you don't need to harden parts if you use good steel" :blink: .

(P.S. I too secure my one can of Kasenit. :) )

Now, I don't have a Rockwell hardness tester either, but I do know that when I cut on Uberti trigger/hammer parts with a file or stone, they feel pretty soft to me. So I surface harden them when I get done. :P

I don't think they are using 4140 or some of the 8600 steels for these fire control elements. I sure would. Then they could be thru-hardened after machining.

(Would be some fine parts for a pard to start making with a CNC mill and a grinder and a heat treat oven.)

Good luck, GJ

The hammers in my Uberti's seems to be hardened, but the sears are much softer. Seems like the intelligent way to go, as I would rather replace sears than hammers. Out of my 6 rifles, 5 have hammers with a decent angle, but the last 73 I bought is just terrible. I am going to have to do a fairly radical re-cut and re-harden on that one. Didn't realize Kasenit was no longer available, but at least a can lasts a good many years.

My can of Kasenite is at least 15 years old. This stuff looks like a good substitute.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/color-case-hardening/surface-hardening-compound-prod27119.aspx

It was my experience pre retirement, the Hammer was Case Hardened. It was not hardened very deep. The Uberti sear did in fact "feel" harder

than the rest of the part. I didn't then, nor would I bother now to work about a "hardness test." Just harden the wear point of the parts when you

finish and be done with it. Same position as GJ, I prefer to have a trigger wear than a hammer. Trigger is much cheaper.

Any of you guys using Cherry Red? It's basically generic Kasenit. Looks and works exactly the same. I replaced a can of Kasenit that was accidentally thrown out by an ex. I've been pretty happy with it.

Moral of the story: Don't throw out a man's Kasenit.

I replaced a can of Kasenit that was accidentally thrown out by an ex.

That would be an action that would harden my heart. :(

Good luck, GJ

That would be an action that would harden my heart. :(

Good luck, GJ

Joe, that's just bad.

She tried to explain that she thought it was all used up because the can was so old and had been "left open" it was the beginning of the end!

A friend said he Missed His Ex.,,,, Once ,,,,,,,,,,,,, But it was OK ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, He got her on the reload .... :D:D

Jabez Cowboy

Archived