SASS Wire Forum

Rear Sight on a Handi Rifle for Plainsman

Jackass Jim

Well browsing E-Bay I was able to pickup a 45-70 barrel for my Handi Rifle. It had a good front sight and a broken rear sight. So have to find a rear sight or replacement parts for the broken one. The broke one is mounted mid barrel with a single set screw. I looked through Brownells, Midway, and Buffalo Arms to just replace the broke parts or the whole sight.

Then got to wondering if the Williams receiver sight was legal for plainsman? Looked through the Shooters Handbook and did not come with a defiant answer.

So thought I would ask for opinions on where to find and what is legal for this barrel for Plainsman.

Thanks

DD

Last I looked, a v-notch type sight is legal, a peep is not, on a receiver sight.

Shooter's handbook, page 18

Must use a SASS–legal single-shot rifle firing a traditional blackpowder rifle or revolver caliber cartridge

SASS-Legal as far as sights go, is defined on pages 5 & 6

Sights must look like sights available during the cowboy era......

Tang mounted rear sights may utilize changeable "peep" apertures and eyecups

Modern style click adjustable barrel or receiver sights are not allowed.

There were no barrel-mounted peeps in the cowboy era.

But there were tang-mounted peeps, and barrel-mounted blades

--Dawg

Modern style click adjustable barrel or receiver sights are not allowed.

This is what got me scratching my head!

Every sight I've found is adjustable. I thought about getting the Williams and replacing the peep with a blade but it is still adjustable.

DD

P.S. Just trying to get it right before I go to a match!

It doesn't say adjustable, it says click adjustable. Sights that are adjusted by sliding a ramp in and out, or using a screwdriver to adjust, are fine. A sight that has a knob on it that you turn and the sight moves a predetermined amount with each click are not.

It doesn't say adjustable, it says click adjustable. Sights that are adjusted by sliding a ramp in and out, or using a screwdriver to adjust, are fine. A sight that has a knob on it that you turn and the sight moves a predetermined amount with each click are not.

OK think I got it!!!

Thanks everyone!!!

DD

Why not get a replacement rear sight from H&R themselves? Contact their customer support using their web site....

Good luck, GJ

Why not get a replacement rear sight from H&R themselves? Contact their customer support using their web site....

Good luck, GJ

Thought they were out of business..... will do a search and see what I can find!

Thanks

DD

Well just called H&R and was told if it was not imported after 2008 they could not help me. Said they do no service or parts for anything USA made or had any records of parts used for who made the parts for them.

Guess it was worth a try.

DD

This is a good sight. Pricey & out of stock now at Buffalo. I think Larsen Pettifogger told me about this one. http://www.buffaloarms.com/Smith_Enterprise_Sights_it-164015.aspx?CAT=4077

Well, I'd probably have a gunsmith cut a 3/8" dovetail for a new leaf rear sight, and might move it back closer to the breech that what the factory used, and slap in a Marble leaf sight like I have on all my other cowboy rifles. Might be $20 to dovetail and $15 for a sight, unless I found something in my parts box that would work.

Depending upon the front sight configuration/height, leave the front alone, or dovetail it too for a post/bead front sight(if factory sight is too high).

Good luck, GJ

The sight from Smith Enterprises is also available from Brownells. Don't know if it is "in stock." If your going to fix the sights, might just as well

spend a few bucks and do it right :)

Archived