SASS Wire Forum

Lever Action Rifle: Loading Gate or Tubular

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

I won't comment on the Henry BB because I've never owned one.

BUT, a cowboy has donated his money to buy the new Big Boy STEEL and I'm gonna invest a little of my time to see if we can improve the feeding, smoothness, and reliability of one of these.

Anyhow, I can comment on the loading gate issue.

I shoot the Marlin 1894 in .32 H&R.....which does not have a loading gate.

Any extra rounds that might need to be loaded while 'on the clock' are loaded thru the ejection port and it works quite efficiently.

..........Widder

The Henry Big Boy can and will run reliably and as fast as any 92 Winchester.

An additional problem that I am working on is the cartridge bounce if operated rapidly. The cartridge is propelled upwards and bounces against the upper part of the receiver and then rattles around till it settles again on the carrier. The shorter and lighter the round, the more rattling around occurs. Occasionally this will cause the round to nose into the ejection port and irritate the hell out of you. Since the top of the Henry action is round and not square like the Marlin it seems to be somewhat random. I will figure this one out soon I hope.

If you have it, then shoot it.

I was trying to compute how many tens of thousands of rounds of wart hog maximum rounds of Holy Black have shot flame and smoke from my Henry Big Boy.I estimate that over 50,000 rounds have brought me great joy from my current rifle. My Henry Big Boy .45 Colt carbine has provided me with a nice collection of category trophies. I have been shooting Marlins in .35 Remington since 1948. The Henry BB is just as smooth as a Marlin. My lever action long range rifle is a Marlin .38-55 and my pistol caliber is a Marlin Big Boy in .44 Rem Mag.Both are incredibly smooth tack drivers. I have seldom missed long range targets. BTB, my C. Sharps Arms "Old Reliable" is a .450-140 650 3-1/4" and it, too, is incredibly accurate in BPCR. My elk and deer weapon is an S&W .44 Rm Mag/\. My freezer is chock full of gentically feed free game.

I would never use any of the above firearms if they did not do the job. As a boy, most hands used Winchester .30-30s. That was because they ALL did it. My .35 out classed them in every which way. Most shooters use .45-70s. My .50 rings the H--- out of the Buffalo!! :-)

The BS from those who do not know reminds me of the engines I built in the 1950s. "EVERYBODY" loveed Chevvies. My engines were winners and they were all big block Buick Straight 8s and they won 1/4 miles and others.

I won cracker jack motorboat races with V-8 60s, raced A iceboats and A scows. Lots of outside BS around but no facts from the rumor mongers.

Like anything else, PRACTICE, PRACTICE and more PRACTICE!!!!! :wub:

Well MM. I HAVE shot the Big Boy. And more than one.

Have tried a few of them over the years.

And again. Of the ones I HAVE shot. I could not get any of them to run at speed.

Now they was nail drivers. As far as that goes.

And if I ran them slow. They worked OK. But once I added speed to it.

Everyone I have shot. Turned into a jam-a-matic.

And again. It has been a good while that I have even seen one at a cowboy match.

There is a reason for that.

However. I did see one a few years ago that a shooter used at a 10 stage match.

It shot good. He had no problems through out the match. But then again. He was no

speedster either.

The BS from those who do not know reminds me ....

One, that is insulting to other posters. Two, it's a personal attack of folks you probably do not even know. Three, it's a change of argument to something other than the topic to try to prove you know something other folks don't know.

That's about three strikes in my scorebook of how to have a civil discussion on the wire.

Good grief, GJ

I will have to go with the name, it is just all wrong. From a marketing stand point it is a disaster. Henry Big Boy. Ugh what are they marketing, a rifle for the Shoneys Big Boy? I mean you have the Henry (the original), the 66,73,92,94, the Lightening, The Burgess and a couple of others. What Cowboy would tote a rifle called the big boy? Henry would have been better off calling it the 66 imposter or the sorta 66. I guess they could have called it the 2001. That wouldn't have gone over to well either, It would morphed to the Space Odyssey rifle.

I estimate that I hav fired upward of 50,000 rounds of extra heavy wart hog loads of Holy Black through my Henry Big Boy .45 Colt carbine. I use a Henry Big Boy .44 Rem Mag for lever action pistol caliber (Marlin .38-55 for rifle caliber and a C Sharps .50-140-650 3-1/4" for Long Distance). Tack drivers!!!! :D

It is amazing to me that all kinds of people dump on the Henry Big Boys but it appears that NONE of them actually shoot them!!! :):wub:

I estimate that I hav fired upward of 50,000 rounds of extra heavy wart hog loads of Holy Black through my Henry Big Boy .45 Colt carbine. I use a Henry Big Boy .44 Rem Mag for lever action pistol caliber (Marlin .38-55 for rifle caliber and a C Sharps .50-140-650 3-1/4" for Long Distance). Tack drivers!!!! :D

It is amazing to me that all kinds of people dump on the Henry Big Boys but it appears that NONE of them actually shoot them!!! :):wub:

You're right. I don't shoot one. Have tried other folks and since they don't work very well for our game, I'm not going to handicap myself on purpose. I wouldn't take my Chevy Suburban to a NASCAR race and expect to have any success, no matter how much I like it. But I do hope anyone who shoots in Wrangler category shoots a Henry Big Boy!

Is there such a thing as a 45 Colt warthog load using black powder. You can only cram so much powder in the case and still won't reach that high of pressure like you will with smokeless powder.

NO. I don't shoot them. There is a reason for that. But as I posted. I HAVE SHOT THEM.

I don't shoot one because I have not shot one that would run at the speed that I want to shoot.

Shooting wart hog loads slow??? Yes. It would be a good gun for that.

Oh, right! 50,000 rounds of wart hog loads with nary a problem! :wub:

Archived