SASS Wire Forum

World's loneliest whale

(From How-to-Geek)

In 1992 U.S. Navy Researchers discovered a whale communicating via a previously unknown frequency. This whale, believed to be either a member of the Baleen Whale family with some sort of mutation or deformity, or a hybrid of a Fin Whale and Blue Whale, has never been directly observed and is known only by the frequency of its call: 52 Hertz.

52 Hertz is known informally as the world’s loneliest whale because its non-standard calls ensures that no other whales will recognize or respond to it; other species of whale even remotely close to its species would sing in the 15-25 Hertz range and its calls would be completely foreign to them. Further, recordings of its calls over the last two decades show that its migration patterns don’t match up with other Baleen Whales or, for that matter, any known whale migration routes.

Still, despite its isolation, researchers report that it’s likely quite healthy as the sound of its call has matured slightly and its migration patterns are wide, which indicates good health and the ability to find food; 52 Hertz has been recorded traveling up and down the Western U.S. seaboard from the Kodiak Islands in Alaska and all the way down to San Diego, California.

Like a provincial Frenchman lost in provincial Oklahoma....?

Maybe, just maybe, he is a normal whale and he is practicing for a tryout on on one of the

TV talent shows. And maybe to whales, 52 Hertz is the hard rock channel for whales? Furthermore

whales do not need amplifiers to be heard. The post said nothing about the rhythm of the calls.

Could it be rock and roll, a love ballad or perhaps opera in whale language? So many questions,

so few answers.

I don't know. If whales are like humans, there are days I would just as soon not communicate with any of them.

Don't know how you do it, Boggus, but once again you nailed it!!!

Regards

Gateway Kid

My military mind wonders if it's not a whale at all, but a foreign communications system disguised to look like one. It has never been observed, its frequency doesn't match any known whale communication frequency, and its migration pattern doesn't match anything known. It doesn't sound like a whale at all.

Kinda sounds like me trying to get the wife's attention.

'Course, she'd probably say the same thing about me.

Archived