SASS Wire Forum

found this gun in a quartz mine

red dead

Hey guys i live in a town full of gold and quartz mining history. Here in southern CA.Me and a couple of buddies went into a abandon quartz mine that we found.these mines were mined by spanish and Mexican miners up until the 1920s.long story short we found some items in there one of them being my favorite a top break revolver and a leather ammo belt of some sort what is the value of this gun.I found it empty but the barrel had traces of burnt black powder in the bore and cylinders i cleaned it and it functions fines with great cylinder lock up.

Picture's coming up!

I have the leather Bandolier as well when i found it it was cracked and brittle it was leaning on top of the pistol where the rust spot is i put a leather conditioner on it and put bullets in it to form the little leather stops to hold the bullets

This is one of many copies of the Smith and Wesson 32 special. the "Secret Service Special" on the barrel is just a way the manufacturer "marketed" their gun.

These were known as "saturday night specials" and "suicide specials" as some of them were so poorly made they were as dangerous to the shooter as they were to the target!

Looks like it might have been gold plated at one point. Probably has a cool history.

I shot a 32 black powder blank round and it fired.i disassemble and cleaned the pistol and it works great but the rifling is almost gone i also found a gold mining pan also but it's covered in rust and i found that near the rear entrance of the mine

Ok am just curious thanx i don't know much on it but the pistol is neat there is plenty of history out here there was a shooting out in lake elsinore back in the late 1880 with the local sheriff's and some outlaw gang up in railroad canyon right by my were my house sits and we're the gold mines are at there is allot to explore up here my buddy found some old 10 ga shot gun shells but i didn't get a foto

To actually find something like that today is very unusual. It is interesting to think of how many times the mine was explored w/o someone finding those items. So, think of what you may have passed over and missed(?).

Howdy,

I was repeatedly warned to stay OUT of any mine no matter how inviting.

The story was that rotted timbers constructed to NO standards whatsoever

could collapse with no warning and anyone in the mine might be crushed or

even better be trapped until running out of oxygen or just starving to death.

Not too much fun.

If you want to buck the odds, more power to ya.

I looked at many mines, never set foot in one.

Best

CR

If it were me, I think I would go out and buy a LOTTO ticket ..... ;)

Nice find. Thanks for sharing.

Have you checked the leather to see if any initials or names have been scratched in it?

..........Widder

Howdy,

I was repeatedly warned to stay OUT of any mine no matter how inviting.

The story was that rotted timbers constructed to NO standards whatsoever

could collapse with no warning and anyone in the mine might be crushed or

even better be trapped until running out of oxygen or just starving to death.

Not too much fun.

If you want to buck the odds, more power to ya.

I looked at many mines, never set foot in one.

Best

CR

Good advice, stay out.

The rock/earth in old caves and mines are subjected to freezing/thawing, water infiltration, hi/low humidity and that works on the rock via fractures, thus slowly deteriorating it...Eventually a slab from a pebble size to a volkswagon size will fall with no warning. It doesn't take much size of a rock to cause injury or death to a person. Should mention that the mouth of the opening is usually in loose earth and rotten rock and if it is supported by rotten timber, well, there you go.

Then if the cave/mine goes back any distance, there very likely can be pockets of dead air, and victim is overcome with air lacking sufficent oxygen to get back out. A rather silent killer. Oxygen level testing equipment will detect these conditions, but your normal ameteur explorer would not carry such.

I found the pistol wedge in between a thin slab with leather belt on top it was a tight fit for even my hand to fit you can barely see it what cought my attention was the mother of pearl grips that shined with my flashlight these mine had not been hit and it has a very tight fit we cradled like worms in there

I found the pistol wedge in between a thin slab with leather belt on top it was a tight fit for even my hand to fit you can barely see it what cought my attention was the mother of pearl grips that shined with my flashlight these mine had not been hit and it has a very tight fit we cradled like worms in there

A tiny little crawl hole as you describe sounds more like a gold diggings exploration effort/shaft, etc., rather than rather than an actual mine. Scarfed into rotten quartz? What was not considered a paying proposition in the 1920's might be good diggings today. Did you sample it out? Very interesting.....

A neat find! I have several of these old pocket pistols, they are fun to collect and shoot. I only shoot BP sub (usually APP) in mine. I have a couple with the pearl grips, which can be worth more than the gun itself.

Was the Pyrodex found with the gun? Pyrodex was first marketed in the mid 1970's I think.

Archived