SASS Wire Forum

Slicking a Handi rifle?

Goody, SASS #26190

Anyone know where to find some tips on slicking up a New England Arms handi rifle in 45 gvt? This is one of the newer, no ejector models. I would thin it should just fall open of it's own accord, but it takes considerable force to open. Thanks in advance for any help.

I loosened up mine like I did my Marlin. Opened & closed it about a thousand times while watching the tube. But I'll bet that's not what you wanted to hear.

You should be thankful you have a tight fitting barrel to action mating. I have noticed on one of my Handi's when it was new the fore piece mating block was slightly out of line. This is the hard plastic piece that is on the receiver end of the fore piece. I loosened the screws and squared this and the opening & closing was much better. You might also lube this with some Vaseline, it would also help.

For additional topic's on the Handi-Rifle I would suggest the Greybeards web site. More info on the Handi than you can believe.

Actually that's helpful Yusta. I'll bring it with me to the BP match Saturday, you can take it home and watch Dancing With the Stars marathon.

Glad to help ya out :D :D - just don't expect me to load it & shoot it for ya :ph34r:

Just a question as to the popularity,(read "market") for a New England Arms handi rifle in 45 gvt? Got one in trade several yrs. ago with the idea to use it for Plainsman but, other than Bordertown, there's very few Plainsman matches around here. It's been a safe queen for 5 yrs or so. Is there a chance it would be fortuitous to post it in the SASS classifieds?

Yup, LD, it's got an ejector.DC

Dibs!

Back to the OP.

I have a Handi rifle in .30-06 that falls open. It has seen less than 200 rounds and no dry practice. It holds a 1.5" pattern at 100 yards for 3 to 4 rounds and then wanders like a durned liberal. It is great for a backup deer gun, but would make a lousy comp gun.

There is probably a happy balance in the looseness spectrum. A bit of Remoil or other quality lube in the hinge pin and mating surfaces of the pivot might help.

My version of the handi rifle from h&r was stiff also I just set there in front of the tv and put some lapping compound and open and closed the gun until it would fall open and I could snap it closed with a snap of my wrist

Archived