SASS Wire Forum

Dreamin' of a toy (automotive)...

Uno had an '81 when I met him. Charcoal grey. We were forced to get rid of it when it would no longer pass the California Particulate emissions test. Best darn car ever. He even let me drive it occasionally. :D :D :D

That was nice of him!

Yep

I only asked because, according to Mrs. Doc, my father-in-law's first RX-7 was a 78 or 79, and in the winter the manual choke was somewhat... difficult. She would have to put her feet on the dash and pull it. :lol:

That was nice of him!

I only asked because, according to Mrs. Doc, my father-in-law's first RX-7 was a 78 or 79, and in the winter the manual choke was somewhat... difficult. She would have to put her feet on the dash and pull it. :lol:

Sometimes if it was real cold it would get pretty hard to pull , you had to wait until the engine would warm up then the choke would snap back closed , fun car handled great the engine was really smooth

Sometimes if it was real cold it would get pretty hard to pull , you had to wait until the engine would warm up then the choke would snap back closed , fun car handled great the engine was really smooth

Out of all of the cars I have owned, it is the one I most wish I still had, and if I were to win the lottery, the one I would try to replace. (OK, my old Jeep Grand Wagoneer, too, but only after the RX-7).

Curious... What was the engine life expectancy on those RX-7's...?

Anyone ever rebuild or had one rebuilt? :huh:

Uno had the Apex seal blow on the original engine at 60K miles I think, and Mazda replaced the engine. I'm not sure which one they replaced it with. The second one lasted 135k miles before we had to get rid of the car.

I'm with DocWard. Another RX-7 would be a blast, if we ever decide to do it.

Hey HC!

I would love to sell this. Long story... You've got my email address...

1609734_10201857878758152_53058993638079

10154953_10201857876838104_4955804509237

Ms Mo

Would e mail the tariff on that beautiful piece of machinery ?

Thank you kindly

Howdy,

The Miata has a long history of outstanding reliability and FUN.

There is a company called Flyin Miata that regularly puts V8 engines into Miata.

Now just in the last couple month someone is putting V6 Honda engines into Miata.

So an early Miata for maybe 3-5 grand can have a transplant engine with DOUBLE

the hp and still runs fine on regular gas.

Where the V8 needs all new driveline the V6 can use the stock trans etc.

Even the stock radiator if in good shape.

The V6 only adds 40 pounds to the car. So I imagine a good set of shocks would be

all that is needed. And I would have every bushing in the suspension checked too.

See latest issue of Grassroots Motor sports for a lot of details.

Miata.net will give fine Miata info too.

Best

CR

If Miata came from factory with ac there is no reason it should not work except money.

A drive with the top down is fun right up until ya start to burn.

Then put up the top and turn on the ac.

No mo converts with no ac.

Hi Folks,

Please forgive me for venting about the car. :blush: I was angry because Hubby told me the AC didn't work (AFTER SPENDING 36K ON FIXING THE MECHANICS OF THE CAR and INSTALLING NEW SEATS). I grumbled about the AC and he said he wanted to give it to our nephew and I wanted to drive it; so he took it to a restorer. He told me it would be 25K at the restorer. When we first got it, it cost 6K + ? for body work.

I don't even want to approach him about a price for it. I will keep the emails from the three of you who wrote me about it and will let you know if I can figure out a price. Auctions are not allowed on the Wire, so don't make me an offer.

BTW, I still haven't driven it since 1994. :angry:

Regards,

Allie :blush::angry::blush::angry::blush: Mo

Howdy,

The Miata has a long history of outstanding reliability and FUN.

There is a company called Flyin Miata that regularly puts V8 engines into Miata.

Now just in the last couple month someone is putting V6 Honda engines into Miata.

So an early Miata for maybe 3-5 grand can have a transplant engine with DOUBLE

the hp and still runs fine on regular gas.

Where the V8 needs all new driveline the V6 can use the stock trans etc.

Even the stock radiator if in good shape.

The V6 only adds 40 pounds to the car. So I imagine a good set of shocks would be

all that is needed. And I would have every bushing in the suspension checked too.

See latest issue of Grassroots Motor sports for a lot of details.

Miata.net will give fine Miata info too.

Best

CR

As I recall the first Miatas were about as close to a 50/50 front to rear and right to left balance as could happen. Hung from a cable, during development, as I recall. I don't know about later generations. I might consider a V6 at 40lbs, because you might be able to offset the weight. A V8 would take a car meant to handle like a dream and make it handle more like a nightmare. I love horsepower, but there is something about a car that will just handle a two-lane backroad like it was born to it that makes me smile. Probably why I loved the RX-7 so much.

Allie: I have got a beautiful Pacer station wagon that I would trade straight across for the vette and it does have cold A/C. It is a beauty!!!Plenty of room to carry all your gear to the shoots.

Allie: I have got a beautiful Pacer station wagon that I would trade straight across for the vette and it does have cold A/C. It is a beauty!!!Plenty of room to carry all your gear to the shoots.

Now if it had been a Gremlin X...

My sweet wife has been driving an old Suburban to work for 10 years, without a complaint. Her parking garage has tight turns and tiny spots, and there have been a couple of small scrapes, thankfully not with other cars. So I wanted to get her something more logical. I did a mammoth amount of research for a year and a half, and bought her a low mileage 2006 Miata, less than a month ago. She loves it. I love it. Well, she lets me keep it clean and shiney. I really believe that if you pinch dollars, like this ole 74 year old does, the Miata is the best way to go. Initial cost (there are zillions of them out there) fuel burn, and maintenance are just superlative. OK, I had to watch a YouTube to learn how to get in and out, and then up to standing, but it's not difficult now .... uh, from the right side. I kept that 200 thousand mile burb for taking the grand kids to the beach.

Archived