SASS Wire Forum

Should the policy of 'not' ending stage with rifle be removed?

Blastmaster

Just a side note, before I have to read another "wimp load" comment...a Marlin rifle has a notoriously quiet report compared to some other rifles, even with real man loads.

Why?

Besides, you CAN end a stage with a rifle...just not recommended.

Very true!

Curious...do all the "more powder" guys drive a muscle car with a blown 454 because it's loud, fast and manly or do you drive a smaller sedan because it's efficient, comfortable and reliable? Kinda the same thing. Folks use different equipment because they can, not to please others. In my other life, I build and hunt with traditional archery equipment. I don't spend my time deriding others who use modern compound bows to accomplish the same task because I consider us brethren and on the same team.

Sorry if I hijacked the original theme of this thread. See y'all at Winter Range.

Four Bucks

Cigar in mouth, eyes on targets, counting with one hand, timer in the other. It's not a problem with the timer it's the TO. Hold the timer where it picks up the shot, watch the timer and shooter, let the spotters do their job. When a TO starts to lose focus it's time to hand off the timer. I agree with Blastmaster, it's time to rethink the no rifle last recommendation. If there's a table at the last position lay the timer down on the table before the shooter gets there, it'll pick up the shots.

As for only being concerned with picking up the last shot, what if the last gun malfunctions and the TO did not get the other shots on the timer. The TO needs to get ALL the shots on the timer not just the last!

Assassin,

As stated in #24, it is not illegal to end with rifle, just recommended. Thus, no need for any rule changing.

MD, such as yourself, or clubs in general can choose to write stages with rifle last. Perhaps some clubs will expand their wings and try it, at a non life or death monthly match,,, one lonely stage. If it is to stressful, then don't do it the next month.

I can fully understand not doing it at a high stakes match that is higher than a monthly shoot.

We actually shot a stage Saturday with the rifles shot last. We did not have any problems with timers picking up shots. However, it was shot in open air with no facade to block the sound. When I started 19 years ago we used stop watches, there was no problem with shooting rifle last. The newer timers are better, we had a bad bunch that would not work in cold weather, they were replaced by the manufacturer.

That would only work if you could rely on TO' a to be on the ball all the time. A match with a dozen shooters, yeah easy to monitor, 200 plus shooters not so much. And yes I've written and shot plenty of stages ending with rifle and don't believe it's worth the chance of not catching the shots.

+1

Maybe it would force TO's to pay attention and do what they are supposed to do. I don't about the rest of you, I'm not real happy when I watch TO's run the timer holding their hand over the pick up hole and never checking to see if the timer is picking up shots. I guarantee I could cherry pick a group of TO's that would never have a problem picking up shots from rifles, on the other hand I could cherry pick a group that would fail miserably.

It can be done and you can pick up a .22. As mentioned, pick your bay, props and the shooting position carefully. I hold the timer up so I can keep a check out of the corner of my eye to make sure it is advancing as we move through the stage. I always do that, not just on special stages.

First I beleive it a recommendation and not a sass policy. And a local match can and have ended stages with the rifle but the to needs to verify the timer catches the last shot otherwise you have a case for a reshoot and depending on how the stage went for the shooter many hard feelings

Not a problem picking up 22's. It's the mouse pharts that don't pickup.

Wow...did you ever think that maybe, just maybe different powders have different reports when fired? Tite group tends to have a pretty good report where as Clays not so loud. Burn rate of the powder and pressure affect the report a bunch.

Stage design, prop design and TO position have a great deal to do with timer picking up the shots. Having to shoot your rifle through a narrow window opening just might affect the timers ability to record those shoots.

End with the rifle because why? Currently not enough options available?

Ending with the rifle will cause timer pick up issues guaranteed! Not to mention, the folks who will start pointing fingers at the TO's for not doing their job.

Yea that's all we need, more problems and drama and less fun👎

If your bored ending with pistols or shotgun? How about trying or adding more options to your stages?

Down range movement

Splitting up shotgun strings

Splitting pistols

Use can or clay throwers

Moving targets or reaction targets

It seems a lot of these options are not used that often. Why I don't know? I've always enjoyed that kind of stuff👍

Lots of things can be done to have good fun stages, with out the issues of ending with rifle.

View from my saddle.

Regards,

Ringer

Ending with the rifle will cause timer pick up issues guaranteed! Not to mention, the folks who will start pointing fingers at the TO's for not doing their job.

Yea that's all we need, more problems and drama and less fun

If your bored ending with pistols or shotgun? How about trying or adding more options to your stages?

Down range movement

Splitting pistols

Use can or clay throwers

It seems a lot of these options are not used that often. Why I don't know? I've always enjoyed that kind of stuff

Lots of things can be done to have good fun stages, with out the issues of ending with rifle.

View from my saddle.

Regards,

Ringer

+1

Have never shot a stage and thought. WOW. That would have been more fun if I could have ended with the rifle.

In fact. I don't really care much what the gun order is. Adding fun to a stage has much more to do with other things.

Absolutely about missed shots, issues and finger pointing!! For reasons we all know. I was only thinking of a regular friendly monthly match, NOT above monthly match matches. Oh well, some monthlies I suspect after thinking about it some more, are life or death matches for the club members.

Down range movement

We do. Down range last month. it was fun

We do, if you mean shooting from various locations

Splitting pistols

Gunfighters don't like that

Use can or clay throwers

On occasion and it is fun. Did it last month. Got both poppers.

We haven't done that nor have the targets to do such (except poppers)

It seems a lot of these options are not used that often. Why I don't know? I've always enjoyed that kind of stuff

Why, they are not used? A good topic for another thread. But if they are not done at your range, then you are more restricted than where i shoot.

Understand, it was just a thought and a way to expand (+30%?) the number of ways to mix up the gun shooting sequence.

View from my saddle.

Regards,

Ringer

It was just a thought and I am not surprised with the outcome.

Again, when I posted, I had no intention of it being used at big matches but more for friendly monthlies.

Carry on.

Down range movement

Splitting pistols

Use can or clay throwers

View from my saddle.

Regards,

Ringer

Exactly. There are plenty of way to dress up a stage without ending with the rifle and possibly introducing problems. IMO if yer' thinkin' just because you end a stage with the rifle.......all of a sudden it make the stage more exciting IMO it won't. I have stood behind a few tall shooter's shooting 24 inch Marlins and had a hard time picking the shots up.

Archived