SASS Wire Forum

Guest Ranches (O.K.....Dude Ranches)

Ornery Cuss

I grew up riding horses fairly regularly. We usually rode bareback, in part because we did not have great saddles available, but mainly because we would just catch up a horse in the grazing pastures, with a hay string (which were lying all over the place near the hayracks), and, putting a circle of string around the muzzle, and running a single rein up one side of the neck, we would ride all over the place, again, bareback. I usually found my way over to a house in which resided several comely young ladies, and they would almost fight over who got taken for a ride, sitting behind me on the horse. Needless to say, riding bareback with two people up provided for very close contact, and for a 15-17 yo kid, that's what it's all about. Anyhow......

My point is, I have not had many opportunities to ride in the last 40 years, but still think back on horseback riding as one of the most fun things I have ever experienced. My wife and I were riding one day, many, many years ago, and our son was riding behind her saddle, and his legs trailing back along the flanks upset her horse and he threw them both off. My wife landed in such a way that she had back trouble off and on for several years, and still has no interest in riding a horse. Which has made it difficult for me to get opportunities to ride without her along. I have been thinking for the last 3-4 years about checking out a real good quality guest ranch for maybe a week, or two weeks, in the hope that I would get to 'catch up' on some of my missed riding, and, if I really enjoyed the experience, maybe do that regularly. I understand that there would be significant 'conditioning' difficulties initially, but I think I could suffer through that until I got used to it. The other consideration is that I am a "senior citizen", in spades (mid-70s), and have no delusions about my long dormant skills, but I believe I am sufficiently conditioned generally that the age should not be a factor.

Now.....is this a foolish pipedream, or is this a realistic ambition. I have to admit, my love of riding horses in my youth, and my desire to try it again, stem from my love of anything and everything "western". In all the literally hundreds of western novels and stories I read, I am particularly moved by any mention of the horseback riding in the course of the story. So yes, there is the "cowboy" aspect of my interest, but just the feel of a great horse, whether walking, cantering or a full gallop, is a fantastic experience I well remember. I'm amazed I have missed doing something toward this effort long ago. But life sometimes gets in the way of ambitions. I live in the southeast, not too many real ranches around, and I'm thinking Arizona all the way up to maybe Wyoming.

So, I'm looking for input.

Ornery Cuss

Why not look into riding stables near you? Call a few, explain what you are looking for. I'd be that is the first few you call don't offer what you want they would recommend one that does. Should be a sight less expensive than a dude ranch.

A quick Google search for "Lawrenceville GA Riding Stables" turned up a whole raft of 'em.

There are many riding stables in the SE that teach riding. Many have group trips where you rent the horse and then rise with one or more experienced riders that discuss the area or just the nature of the area.

We have several here in the Las Vegas area.

Florida abounds in riding stable especially in the "cracker" area.

Good luck.

Just remember that most of those "stable" horses just want to get back to the sable and the horse knows all the tricks to get there with or without you.

Hey Ornery Cuss, Check out the Breaks Interstate Park. Kentucky and west Virginia border. Grand Canyon of the east is what they call it. Great vacation spot and they have a stables of riding horses to rent rides. Its guided. I too rode a lot as a kid. My back is so bad that Id be scared to try it now.

I get the impression that you are looking for something more than just a one hour guided trail ride. Several years ago my son and I visited the TX Ranch in Wyoming. This is a real working cattle ranch that just happens to take in guests. (Actually, quite a deal for them as they get people to pay them for the opportunity to work for them). People come from all over the world to the TX. When we were there, there were 3 Brits, one Scandinavian (I don't recall what country), a lady from California, a newspaper sportswriter from Indiana, my son and I from Michigan.

Anyway, I would do it again in a minute except that I know the price my body would pay. At the time we were there, it was very rustic. We slept in sleeping bags on the ground inside teepees. No such thing as electricity or running water--unless you count the stream where all our water came from. We drove cattle, branded cattle (yes, the guests actually did the wrestling and branding), drove horses, separated out the weanlings from their mamas, etc. We were there for a week. This was probably 20 years ago and we still talk about it.

Here is a link to their web page. http://www.txranch.com/

Let me now if you decide to visit there.

OO

I know some people in their mid-70's who are healthy and vigorous, and a few that ride. However, my wife rides competitively, and I am around the horse crowd a lot. If I were you, before making my decision, I would try to do some riding locally, to see if I would be up to the task, because being 'fit' and being 'riding fit' are two different things. After a bit of riding, then you should be able to decide if you are up to the task.

Another option without the risk of wrestling with cattle might be a guided horse pack trips. More than a couple of hours of riding a stable horse, but less intensive on an older body than being a dyed in the wool cowboy.

Thanks all for replies. And yes, O.O., I am looking for a little more than an afternoon trail ride. Your reference to the Texas ranch is something I might be interested in for myself, but, even though my wife is not really interested in riding, she would definitely want to go along just for the fun of the trip and the 'extras' that most ranches offer. And, I may be able to coax her into trying a little very gentle riding, while I could do the more serious riding. So, the Texas would be way too rustic for her, but thanks for the descriptive response.

I have actually been to a 'local' (central GA) riding venue, and it was interesting after all these years of not riding, but it gets old fast, just nose-to-tail trail riding. So, after my original post, which kind'a came right off the top of my head, I'm now checking out the hundreds of ranches available on the internet, and I am getting a better idea of what's available, and what I might be interested in trying. Maybe I'll run into some of ya'll at one of these.

Ornery Cuss

I'm now checking out the hundreds of ranches available on the internet, and I am getting a better idea of what's available, and what I might be interested in trying. Maybe I'll run into some of ya'll at one of these.

Ornery Cuss

I saw your post and did a quick google search myself. I thought I would add a couple of links, just in case you missed them. Looks like some of them offer fly fishing, skeet, canoeing and more.

http://www.duderanch.org/

http://www.ranchweb.com/

Makes me want to round up Mrs. Doc and the kids and head west. Of course, Mrs. Doc's idea of a 'vacation' is a week long horse show. Our last vacation was spent in Tulsa at a show. I suppose I can't complain, though, my idea of a great vacation would involve a lot of shooting.

Guest Grass Range #51406

Get your self to Montana. I will take you for a ride in the mountains. Hope you are a good rider. Dude horses are usually plugs which they have to be and then you have to follow trails all in single file.

Check out "White Stallion Ranch" just north of Tucson. I've been out there, looked around, ate a steak dinner, listened to a cowboy sing around a campfire but never stayed. However, I have a friend who loves this place and he and his wife go every year. A very nice dude ranch, great people, accommodations, food, horses, and beautiful terrain. Right next to the Seguaro National Park.

http://www.wsranch.com

If you do come this way, let me know and we can meet up since I live about 20 minutes from White Stallion Ranch. ^_^

Archived