SASS Wire Forum

Musta Been a Planning and Logistics Nightmare.

Subdeacon Joe

I'd never given this much thought before. The planning, organization, and logistics that had to go into this is mind boggling. Even just sorting out the various materials would have been a major undertaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUo5VD3DThc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUo5VD3DThc

"Son, you ever spend a million dollars?"
"No, Sarge, never did."

"Now is your chance. Call in an air strike on that tree line."

The dollar amounts the narrator quoted were shocking in modern terms, let alone to the thrifty folk of that era.

Comparing 1940s dollars to 2015 dollars ... brrr ...

In Ordnance school we were told that all of the long months of figuring, planning, calculating, re-calculating, re-re-calculating, estimating, acquiring, distributing, issuing, and all else that goes into setting up an operation goes right out the window as soon as the first shot is fired. From that point forward ANYTHING that goes according to the plan is simply a lucky fluke.

You need to read a book that came out recently...."Arsenal of Democracy"....This book will simply blow your mind on how Americas industry organized for the war effort. The GREATEST generation at its GREATEST!

Not sure we could pull this off today.......

Just imagine. You're a supply NCO through luck of the draw. You spent three years collecting, cleaning and sorting parts for anyone who needs them. Assigning guard details so the parts don't just walk away. Then you The Call, "war's over, scrap it."

"Now where's that bottle of Scotch I've been saving?"

They did not scrap the canvas and leather1943 Mountain Rucksack or the hideous army skis. (see The Devils Brigade movie) I was issued them in 1968. Yuch.

Archived