SASS Wire Forum

Looking for an AR 15 upper in 5.56 NATO

Ethan Cord

Howdy all, I am looking for an upper in 5.56 probably a flat top that sights can be added too. Do you all have any suggestions?

Do any of you have one you are looking to sell?

Thanks!

Ethan

Need more info. Barrel length, FSB or no, free float barrel or no, muzzle device? Just going to throw this out there, Bravo Company makes some great uppers and may still have a deal with the BCG included.

Handgunner, replied by email. Did not get your pictures.

Jrswanson1, you are correct maybe I should provide more info, however I am not a black gun guy and don't know a lot about these things. Both of my boys picked up New Frontier lowers and have acquired everything they need on the bottom ends. They need complete uppers to finish the guns. Probably something between 16" to 18" barrels that will be California compliant, no bayonet lug, pinned muzzle brake, etc. They will shoot 55 grain bullets so the rate of twist should be appropriate for that, maybe a 1:9?

I will look at the sites that have been recommended, thank you for your replies!

I have a very low use upper BUT it is a pre-Remington Bushmaster Varminter which has a 24" fluted barl. This is a flat top upper receiver with removable Bushmaster folding sights, front and rear, plus a free floated handguard. A search of YouTube will return several good reviews. Notify if interested and I will post pictures.

Slowhand, I am definitely interested in seeing pictures of your upper!

Ethan, I will try to snap a few sometime later in the morning. I will do a couple of shots on and off the lower receiver. I have never mounted a scope but the fold down open sights were mounted to be back-ups and these were sold by Bushmaster also. I had originally planned to shoot some local long range matches with it but just never got motivated after the purchase. The rifle had no more than five or ten rounds put through it to check for function, a true safe queen! Robby

How about a Stag Arms G3H upper? Fluted SS 18" barrel, 1 in 8" twist, and chambered in 5.56. Does the muzzle brake need to be pinned for you California folks?

Just remember you can not have a Barrel less than 16" in length unless it has a fixed muzzle piece that makes it 16"min..Try for a 1 in 7 twist it will shoot most all ammo better make sure you buy a 5.56 Barrel that way it can shoot all. Try Palmetto State Armory good deals on complete uppers try and get a CHF Barrel (Cold Hammered Forged) it's what the call Machine gun steel. 1/8 twist is good also.

Good Luck

Note that the top photo shows folding sights in the down position while the bottom picture shows just the upper assembly and has the sights up. I want $750 to your door, ins and del. comp included for the lower unit without the sights. If you want the sights, add $150. The lower assembly is not for sale.

.__480_102_Varminter%201.jpg

.__480_73_Varminter%202.jpg

I've got 2 NIB Daniel Defense M4V5's complete rifles, non cali legal w/o button mag release...... I'd split the uppers off if interested, they are 16" gov't profile bbls with 12" free float rail sysytem, mid length gas system, DD is getting $1079 for them I'd let one or both go for $900 apiece. Daniel defense is a premier builder of AR's. https://danieldefense.com/upper-receiver-groups.html

Thanks everyone for the info and offers, I am definitely on a learning curve here. I am trying to find out if the flash suppressors have to be pinned here in California and whether or not we can have bayonet lugs. Also I had no idea how pricey half of a gun could be! I was hoping to find something in the $350-$425 price range because I need to buy a couple of them.

jrswanson1- The Stag Arms unit sounds nice. How much would you want to get for it?

Slowhand Bob- your upper is very nice, thank you for posting the pictures, but it is out of my price range.

Dutch Nichols- your uppers are nice but out of my price range as well.

Big Six- I got your email and responded, I should have an answer for you mid-day tomorrow.

Smoke Dawg- I am interested but it depends on how much you are looking to get and whether or not your upper is California legal.

Thanks again!

jrswanson1- The Stag Arms unit sounds nice. How much would you want to get for it?

I don't have a Stag, some of the guys who I shot 3-Gun with had them. I built my own, which might be a better option for you if you don't want to drop the coin on complete ones.

Well I found a link that has a flow chart for determining if an AR style rifle is California compliant. http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

It looks like we have to use muzzle brakes instead of flash hiders but there are no restrictions on bayonet lugs.

jrswanson1- I would try collecting the parts and building one but just don't have the time, maybe when I retire someday. :)

Ethan....my upper has a flash hider and a bayonet lug. Some Cali compliant ARs have both. I bought a Colt 6920 with both those and a button mag release. It was Cali compliant straight from Colt. My local gun shop got it by mistake so I got a screaming deal on it.

Smokedawg,

how much are you looking for on your upper? I can change the flash suppressor to a muzzle brake just to be on the safe side.

Thanks!

Archived