SASS Wire Forum

OT? Horseless carriage headlamp problem?

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Once upon a time headlights were glass.

The wise and wonderful folks in Washington have decided that cars must get better

gas milage. So steel and brass and glass are all being replaced by plastic.

Plastic can be better or most definitely worse.

Driving back home I noticed it was really hard to see.

The next day I looked at the headlights and found the plastic covers had hazed

over to the point of being solid white in areas.

I went to work on these plastic covers and was told they had a

top coat and that TOP COAT was turning yellow and the covers needed to be replaced or reworked.

New covers are several hundred dollars and difficult to install, just bring money.

I bought one repair kit for around $15, it sorta worked but not really.

Then I bought 2000 and 3000 grit sandpaper and removed the haze or most of it.

Finally I bought WIPE NEW and followed the instructions. Remember the heavy haze

had been removed before and the WIPE NEW replaced the coating over the lens

that looks close to new in clarity.

Then headlight bulbs were replaced.

NOW I have lights on the ol horseless carriage.

Now that Ive seen the problem there are dozens if not thousands of folks in need

of headlight work.

Replacing bulbs only works if the lenses are clear.

Good luck with that.

Best

CR

ps The plastic lens is soft plastic. The factory puts on a layer of HARD plastic to

protect the soft plastic. This gives a resilience WITH scratch resistance.

If you don't replace that top coat the uncoated lens will look fine for a short time

then haze back over. That's what the WIPE NEW is supposed to be replacing.

And what works in dry climates may not work in an Illinois winter.

Your milage may vary.

Never open this cap, Usually.

Or Sam's Club will do an amazing job on them for about $25.00 and 20-30 minutes. Headlights look absolutely new. Although, as someone already mentioned, there are probably a number of businesses happy to do it for you. I tried one of the 'kits' from an auto parts store.....too much work for an iffy result. My cars are 2004 and 2002 models, headlights on both almost totally opaque before refurbishing.

Ornery Cuss

There is a scam out there where people are using bug spray to remove the haze that works spectacularly ... For a couple days until the oil drys up or worse gets wet and runs onto your paint and ruins it...

I just don't drive at night unless I have to.

I had one of the plastic lenses fall off on the highway once. I was just glad the car was still under warranty by a week. Would have cost me $225 just for one headlight assembly. I can buy the old glass headlights for my truck for $10.

A few years back, I bought a Meguiar's Headlight Resoration Kit (heavy duty series) to redo my girlfriends '95 Camry. The old lenses were severely yellowed and hazed over. The kit was somewhat pricey ($35?) and it required some elbow grease to get the job done but I gotta tell ya, the lenses looked brand new when I was finished.

It came with a "protectant" to apply last. The lenses still looked like new when the car was sold a few years later.

Archived