SASS Wire Forum

Meanwhile, In Russia, School Kids in AK-74 Competition

Subdeacon Joe

Yeah, there are. But you can bet they didn't learn it in school.

There are classes here for that too... :)

But yeah.... Some in school, some elsewhere...but they exist. :D

GG

High school ROTC 1957 I could do that with an M-1 rifle, M-1 carbine, 1911A1, and a Browning 1919 lmg. I was 15 years old.

I can still do the Queen Anne Salute and a number of other fancy drill moves with the Garand. Lot of muscle memory involved fro Drill Team days in high school and college.

ROTC now... at least in the part of California that I'm familiar with... doesn't even allow real weapons, only solid wood drill rifle with a turn bolt gate latch for a rifle bolt.

At my son-in-law's retirement as a CW-5 after 30 years in the Corps (smalls arms instructor, DI, several tours of nasty places, etc.), the honor guard wasn't allowed to have firing pins in their Garands on a U. S. Navy base at Coronado.

Everyone needs a hobby. I only wonder why so many people have chosen paranoia.

Forty, we could do the same thing in the 60's in the Bay Area. I recall participating in many JROTC rifle matches in San Francisco back then...

Makes me ill to think of all those Remington 40X's... Winchester Model 52's... Anschutz's... that were yanked from schools and scrapped and melted down during the Clinton administration... :(

I'm not so sure I'm enjoying our new "enlightened" world.

Hey Hardpan (and others),

Even in San Francisco....yes SAN FRANCISCO....most high schools had honest to God shooting teams into the late 60's and early 70's. My Mother-in-law was on her shooting team and she went to an all-girls Catholic high school! And she was a national small-bore rifle champion.

Times have changed.

EC

Archived