SASS Wire Forum

"Tommy"

Subdeacon Joe

Roger Moore served as an Army captain in West Germany in the late 40s. Dashing fellow even then.

Roger+Moore+in+uniform.jpg

That poem is hard to read or listen to.

I've posted it several times before, but the one that sends chills up and down my spine is:

"Cock the gun that is not loaded,
Cook the frozen dynamite.
But, oh beware my country,
When my country grows polite!"

And we have grown too polite! :(

That poem is hard to read or listen to.

Only for them wot understand it.

Kipling understood.

Yes, he did. I became a fan as a young boy, then I really "understood" when I served.

After the youtube clip plays, there is the opportuntiy to click on an exceptional rendition of Gunga Din, as well.

After the youtube clip plays, there is the opportuntiy to click on an exceptional rendition of Gunga Din, as well.

I was looking for something else and found this version of "Gunga Din". I had no idea Croce had recorded it nor that it had been made into a song. -- GIT

Very interesting GIT.

I had never seen this before, but music is poetry in the lyrics, I have to say I enjoyed JCs work here.

'e's seen the oliphant.

That 'e did indeed.

Now, let's 'ave a pint and toast the Regiment!

That would be a great title for a poem or a history book.

Not going to be me - I broke my crayon.

And... I've got to take back a little of my snark: David Cameron's recognition that "extremists" are at war with Western Civilization is as refreshing as it is sadly unique. Almost Churchillian.

eron

I wish you guys would stop posting them fuzzy videos and poems. Can't hardly read them and can't hear the audio with all that sobbing in the background. If only today's pundits understood one hundredth of the debt they owe to the generations of men that put on their countries uniform in the name of freedom the world would be a much better place. Anyone that wore the uniform during the Vietnam years knows all too well just exactly how Tommy feels.

Archived