SASS Wire Forum

1873 Problem

General Ledger

Today I shot my first match in almost 8 years. Never had any problems with my Uberti '73. Action job done years ago by great gunsmith, but today, after 3 stages, it looks like it was double feeding. Best I can tell-one in the chamber with another trying to seat right behind the chambered round. Had to push the carrier (?) down, pull the live round out of the chamber, then manually remove all rounds through the loading gate. Cycling the lever did nothing.

I'm not a gunsmith by any means, but any ideas why this problem? I hope I've explained it sufficiently.

Thanks

General Ledger

Today I shot my first match in almost 8 years. Never had any problems with my Uberti '73. Action job done years ago by great gunsmith, but today, after 3 stages, it looks like it was double feeding. Best I can tell-one in the chamber with another trying to seat right behind the chambered round. Had to push the carrier (?) down, pull the live round out of the chamber, then manually remove all rounds through the loading gate. Cycling the lever did nothing.

I'm not a gunsmith by any means, but any ideas why this problem? I hope I've explained it sufficiently.

Thanks

General Ledger

Probably need more info but if the second round is behind the one in the chamber it sounds like the extractor didn't extract the one in the chamber but still brought the second one up to go in the chamber. Lift up on the extractor to see is it's loose.

Thanks for these replies. As to being gummed up-I did shoot the rifle last weekend just for a little practice---I cleaned it immediately after shooting.

It is hard to check under the extractor to make sure it is clean. They can very gradually gum up and give trouble all of a sudden. Or the spring can weaken and give the same result.

As part of your cleaning process did you clean the magazine tube?

Some tend to forget cleaning it and end up with all kinds of feeding issues.

Marshal Stone

+1 on the tab on the bottom of the bolt.

If that does not work, bring it to the Salisbury match on Saturday Sept 6. There are some very experienced cowboys and 'smiths that will likely be there. I ain't dropping names, but they know who they are.

Archived