SASS Wire Forum

Was watching The Mentalist tonight when they supposedly went to Sam Houston National Forest in Texas. That's in the Huntsville area, for those who might not know. Lots of pine trees and gentle hills. So they get out of their vehicle and you can see a mountain in the near background. Once again Hollywood does no homework. HATE that! They think no one knows what these places are like?

Ya mean like the scenery for Justified? That was not Kentucky.

I watch a lot of Gunsmoke. I've never been to Kansas, but it seems unlikely to me that within a day's ride of Dodge City there are grassy plains, rolling hills, huge snow-capped mountains, dense forests, deep river canyons, sprawling deserts...

And Dillon makes an awful lot of trips to Mexico. That seems like quite a haul from Kansas by horse.

EDIT there is also an episode of M*A*S*H that drives me nuts: Klinger supposedly becomes convinced that he is in Ohio and he goes around trying to sell people siding and things like that. Anyway there is a scene where he is helping with triage, and talking as though it is the scene of a traffic accident, and he is wearing a t-shirt that says "Toledo- gateway to Zanesville". It doesn't make any sense because Toledo and Zanesville are nowhere near each other. Toledo is in the northwest corner and Zanesville is east-central, maybe not even 45 minutes from West Virginia

he is wearing a t-shirt that says "Toledo- gateway to Zanesville". It doesn't make any sense because Toledo and Zanesville are nowhere near each other. Toledo is in the northwest corner and Zanesville is east-central, maybe not even 45 minutes from West Virginia

Plus Toledo has like 10 times the population of Zanesville. But you have to admit, it does sound like a shirt they'd sell in Ohio.

klinger is from Toledo, but, how many wore t shirts with print on them back then, and the haircuts, ugh. :wacko:

now mountains in states with no mountains? real good lenses...... ;)

I think 45 minutes to WVa from Zanesville is perfectly reasonable, given that I-70 runs right through the Y-City.

Less time if my wife is driving.

Measurably less.

How about all those old movies where they get washed ashore on a "deserted island" that has all those trimmed & skinned palm trees?

Wow, not only does someone live there, they've got a huge landscaping team.

Nope. If it were, it would have the D**m Buckeyes on it.

Only in Columbus. The rest of the state doesn't care all that much about "the" Ohio State University.

When I was in school we invented the "Whereinthehellis Nelsonville?" t-shirt. It took 2 years for Ohio State to steal the idea.

Hollywod films where it's cheapest. That means California or Canada for big budget outdoorsy stuff. I've see scenes supposedly in the Florida Keys with mountains in the background on the mainland.

And let's not talk about Duke's movies. ;)

I got over it years ago. It's all illusion. Some better than others.

Only in Columbus. The rest of the state doesn't care all that much about "the" Ohio State University.

When I was in school we invented the "Whereinthehellis Nelsonville?" t-shirt. It took 2 years for Ohio State to steal the idea.

I don't know about that. A few years ago I was back there visiting, looking for some sort of souvenir for someone, and all I could find was OSU crap, and I was all over the state!

I don't know about that. A few years ago I was back there visiting, looking for some sort of souvenir for someone, and all I could find was OSU crap, and I was all over the state!

Well, yeah. That's what they sell to the rubes from out of state. The locals don't buy that stuff.

home, least yused tu be, of Rocky Boots!!!!!

There was a western with Tom Sellick, Ben Johnson and Sam Elliot years ago. Tom and Sam was on the Texas Gulf and Ben was in jail up around Waco. They rode up there, broke him out and were back to Gulf in a day. I'm like UB, if they are good movies I look past it. How else can you explain JW in the early 1860's having '92 rifles and 73 pistols, at least he did not have them at the Alamo. We have all been spoiled by the newer movies that they seem to try to get most things right, but if you watch close enough you'll see things. Which JW movie had con trails?

There was a western with Tom Sellick, Ben Johnson and Sam Elliot years ago. Tom and Sam was on the Texas Gulf and Ben was in jail up around Waco. They rode up there, broke him out and were back to Gulf in a day. I'm like UB, if they are good movies I look past it. How else can you explain JW in the early 1860's having '92 rifles and 73 pistols, at least he did not have them at the Alamo. We have all been spoiled by the newer movies that they seem to try to get most things right, but if you watch close enough you'll see things. Which JW movie had con trails?

I started a thread a couple weeks back about how far a day's ride was, and i was inspired by just such things, mainly on Gunsmoke. The ridiculously diverse terrain I mentioned above, and the fact he made so many trips to Mexico, but specifically an episode where a farmer comes to take Doc to his place 10 miles outside of town, and they arrive apparently(in the storyline) just moments later.

home, least yused tu be, of Rocky Boots!!!!!

Yup. My wife used to work in their factory. They still have a warehouse and store there, but the factory was moved overseas years ago.

Pleased to meet you, sir. It's nice to meet someone who knows where home (and the inspiration for my alias) is.

I've bought boots there also, when they were still made there, wunt buy the china boots,,,, just not right!!! :( :( :(

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

Terrible Geography: how 'bout The Lone Ranger (last year's horrid Western) they start it in some

Texas town, jump on their horses and ride right out into Monument Valley! Oh yea, been to

Dodge City; remember, Gunsmoke was shot mostly in Southern Cal, and the scenes are ridiculous!

Winchester made a half a zillion Model 92 s and Holly Wood bought a ton of them; they were almost always in "the wrong time and place". Course my Wife hates it when I watch a War movie and spot a Korean War era Jeep (M-38) in a WW2 movie.

too old I am, Cheers Hoss C.

Archived