SASS Wire Forum

lookin to try some BP, need advise

Noah Cash

Hilda Billie just bought me a pair of Pietta .44 revolvers, 1858's with the top strap over the cylinder.

I have the components, balls, FFFg goex, and caps. I also have the 44/45 fibre wads L use for the Shiloh Sharps 45/70.

I know we can't post load data here but I'd appreciate PM's with the B/P load data and any other info we can post here. Grease or lube over the balls? Wad between the powder and ball? reduced powder with inert filler over powder then wad or grease?

I am also gonna stuff B/P in the 45 Colt casings for the '73 and the 12 guage, so any advise there is appreciated as well

KB

Rye left off the caps. It don't go BOOM without caps. Been there, done that.

Lyman makes good books in shooting BP loads in cap-n-ball pistols and cartridge loads.

Your local cowboys are also very good sources of information if they have shot BP/FC for a while.

Instead of trying to do it all at once, you might want to nail down the process of loading, shooting and cleaning your Remmies before tackling the rifle and shotgun. SASS rules allow cap-n-ball in most categories.

There were good articles in last year's CCs about cap-n-ball pistols and various powders.

Rye left off the caps. It don't go BOOM without caps. Been there, done that.

Lyman makes good books in shooting BP loads in cap-n-ball pistols and cartridge loads.

Your local cowboys are also very good sources of information if they have shot BP/FC for a while.

Instead of trying to do it all at once, you might want to nail down the process of loading, shooting and cleaning your Remmies before tackling the rifle and shotgun. SASS rules allow cap-n-ball in most categories.

There were good articles in last year's CCs about cap-n-ball pistols and various powders.

…and make sure you have big enough balls!!! :lol:

Call Buffalo Arms at (208)+263-6953 for black powder supplies. Ask for their catalogue whether you buy anything or not. The proprietor, Dave Gulloo, is one of the top BP riflemen in the world. All of their staff are experts in BP shooting.

I will send a PM with my OPINIONS about what you asked. Remember, there are actually more opinions than there are BP afficianadoes. :-)

Archived