SASS Wire Forum

Loads for 45-70 Gov?

Roger Rapid

I'm looking for load data (bullet and powder) for long-range shooting with a Springfield breechloader 45-70 gov in both black powder/Pyrodex and TrailBoss. If you have successful data, please PM me - (don't post it here)… Thx.. RR

LG - thanks for the response. I'm looking at 100-yard and 200-yard and I reload but not cast. Thx!…RR

Rodger ... here ya go:

Blackpowder ... http://www.goexpowder.com/images/LoadCharts/Cartridge-Rifle.pdf

Since you are an inexperienced reloader with Pyrodex & Trailboss READ THIS FIRST - http://www.hodgdon.com/loading.html

Pyrodex ... http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/muzzleloading_manual_2008.pdf?CHECKBOX_1=on

Trailboss ... http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Rodger - you have a total misconception of the term 'long range'. NRA BPCR distances for "long range" are 800 to 1000 yds. 100 & 200 yds are the normal distances that BPCR shooters sight in their rifles at

For Trail Boss loads in 45-70 stick with the upper end recommended load data. DO NOT COMPRESS.

Low end loads with 3031 also give good results. Again, stick within the data published by the manufacturer. Not the data you found on the "Missing Fingers Reloading Forum".

Do a little experimenting with several loads to find out what your rifle likes. If nothing else, you will have a good excuse to spend time at the range.

For Trail Boss loads in 45-70 stick with the upper end recommended load data. DO NOT COMPRESS.

Low end loads with 3031 also give good results. Again, stick within the data published by the manufacturer. Not the data you found on the "Missing Fingers Reloading Forum".

Do a little experimenting with several loads to find out what your rifle likes. If nothing else, you will have a good excuse to spend time at the range.

Ditto this. Every gun seems to have its own favorite combination of powder and bullet. Half the fun of reloading is saving money, the other half is working up loads.

CR

LG - thanks for the response. I'm looking at 100-yard and 200-yard and I reload but not cast. Thx!…RR

Listen real close to John Boy....he knows of what he speaks.

BTW- 100-200 yards is not 'long-range'.

Again I'll say your biggest issue with BP will be controlling the fouling, and you will most likely use a blow tube.

LG

To add to this to help with accuracy.

First slug the bore and find out what diameter bullet you're going to use. I went up .001 of an inch and my groups tightened up to 1 MOA at 100 yd's.

For up to 200 yd's the sights on your rifle should be OK. Sights are everything.

If your shooting SASS long range side matches then speed and accuracy is how you're going to win. It becomes speed rifle. Bang clang is what SASS is after.

Black powder needs a soft bullet at least 20/1 lead. And smokeless needs a re hard bullet.

Pyrodex is pretty good about not fouling. Synthetic BP powders tend not to need a blow tube or patch after every shot.

Depending on the range or event, get yourself a good set of shooting sticks. Prone is best but not all of us can get down on the ground like that anymore. So get a set that will let you sit in a camp chair.

At this range a 405 grain bullet should perform well.

For the sake of your shoulder start with the low end of the recommended loads for smokeless and work up from that.

And for piece of mind, keep a notebook and write down weather, load, bullet, distance and sight settings every time you use it. Helps reduce the number of sighters needed.

Ike

Howdy,

I sent you a private PM

Nawlins

I can heartily recommend Lump's supah-sekret 45-70 load.

But please, for the love of all things holy, make sure he gets his brass back...

I can heartily recommend Lump's supah-sekret 45-70 load.

But please, for the love of all things holy, make sure he gets his brass back...

It was easier to get my brass back, than it was to PRY that rifle from your hands. :P

LG

Archived