SASS Wire Forum

Staged pistols on table shooting double duelist

High Plains Hud SASS#64232

Legal as long as some part is touching table.

The gun is not in hand until it clears the prop.

Definitions: ROI:

Revolver in hand

– when the muzzle of the revolver clears the mouth of the holster, or breaks contact with a prop where it was staged.

Stage instructions CAN be written to provide the specific requirement for how to start. Such as "both revolvers staged and hands { not touching, not lifting, at side, etc}." If no such instructions, well, as stated, it's not in hand until it's no longer touching prop (or leather).

Good luck, GJ

So GJ... If there are no limitation on where your hands are supposed to be and pistols are the first to be shot and stage instructions call for both pistols staged on the table ANY shooter, regardless of category, can have their hand(s) on their pistols as long as one part of the pistols are touching the table on which they are staged? So a gunfighter can have each pistol in hand but just have a part of the pistol touching the table and safely pointed down range? I'm not sure...I'm just asking.

Kajun

So GJ... If there are no limitation on where your hands are supposed to be and pistols are the first to be shot and stage instructions call for both pistols staged on the table ANY shooter, regardless of category, can have their hand(s) on their pistols as long as one part of the pistols are touching the table on which they are staged? So a gunfighter can have each pistol in hand but just have a part of the pistol touching the table and safely pointed down range? I'm not sure...I'm just asking.

In some circles, that would be considered pretty gamey (for any category of shooter), but as we see from the rules that BJ quoted above, it is not prohibited by the standard rules or stage conventions.

Unless the PM or MD means by "on the table" that the "whole revolver is to be touching the table", which is normally what "on the table" has been interpreted as at the several EOT and Winter Ranges I have attended.

The rule books do make a distinction between the staging position and "in hand" control of the gun. It is not a certainty in my mind that just because you don't yet meet the "in hand" condition that you are still staging the gun properly. That has to be cleared with your RO or PM, preferably before you START the stage. ;)

GJ

If there isn't a specific starting position stated in the stage description (hands touching hat, hands behind back, or something like that) then you fall back to SASS standards.... Hands at sides. However after the beep there is no problem with having a pistol in both hands as long as one muzzle is still touching the table until the last shot from the first revolver. Unless your shooting G/F or B-western. Than both can be in hand off the table

As has been pointed out

Is it legal or not to have second pistol in your hand as long as some part of gun is touching table?

Inquiring minds want to know: Were you meaning prior to the beep or after the beep? Good answers above either way.

This was looked at a few years ago.

It was ruled that as long as part if still touching the table until the last bullet is

fired form the first gun. You are good.

I think Palewolf said it was easier to do that. Than to retrain all the Texas shooters. :lol:

Most around here will be shooting one. But have the other in hand. But barrel still touching table.

Thanks for all the answers. Buck, I think if before the beep no specific directions then hands at side, then after beep and pistols are first, I would shoot 1st pistol while 2nd pistol is in hand with barrel touching table or prop till last shot if first pistol. Either way have been approached as the legality of what I did . Little gamey maybe :D but.... if legal then I will do it unless informed differently.

Thanks for all the answers. Buck, I think if before the beep no specific directions then hands at side, then after beep and pistols are first, I would shoot 1st pistol while 2nd pistol is in hand with barrel touching table or prop till last shot if first pistol. Either way have been approached as the legality of what I did . Little gamey maybe :D but.... if legal then I will do it unless informed differently.

Hi Hud,

How do you get the second pistol "in hand" without it's disconnecting with the table during the lifting? It seems to me that maneuver would be more cumbersome and slower than just touching it.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi Allie,

Well I see your point. But with practice rolling pistols up something can be touching all the time. Or take split second to do them just seperate. As long as only one is not touching at a time. I know it seems like its a lot of hassle, but it works . Hope to meet and shoot with you someday. HPH

Archived