SASS Wire Forum

Shootin a Six-gun sideways in a movie? Say it isn't so...

Two Spurs

So, I'm killing time while the bride is taking a nap. Drag out the Frontier Justice 50 movie pack and watch "The Night Rider" with Harry Carey Sr. and George "Gabby" Hayes. 1932.

I love these old B&W's. This one happened to be..... :unsure: .....uh..... terrible. BUT that's okay. ^_^ I marked the DVD sleeve with a black dot showing I'd watched it- on my way to completing the 50.

Highlight of the movie? Harry Carey Sr. shoots a guy (both in wide open space) with his cowboy gun SIDEWAYS like a modern day gangster with a semi-auto! :blink:

I've never seen this before in a western of any year make, I'm sure someone here has.

But in 1932? :lol:

Glenn Ford was shown doing that occasionally, at the end of a fast draw aided materially by editing.

Mark

Yup! Just saw Glenn Ford do that in the movie where he is a gunfighter-turned-preacher. And, yes, it was immediately following a quick draw.

I actually tried it once, with one of my 45s. Guess what? The recoil was sideways and the bullet went way over to the left.

Doesn't matter which way the gun is held. If the sight alignment is true the bullet will go where it is aimed.

Years back in a basic pistol class the instructor demonstrated by holding a revolver upside down and working the trigger with his little finger. He hit the target dead center.

Doesn't matter which way the gun is held. If the sight alignment is true the bullet will go where it is aimed.

Years back in a basic pistol class the instructor demonstrated by holding a revolver upside down and working the trigger with his little finger. He hit the target dead center.

What you are stating is probably true at 10 or 15 feet. Beyond that gravity will take over and guess what?? You will lose any rise you had built in for targets at longer ranges. You couldn't hit squat at 50 yards with the gun turned sideways.

RBK

Glen Ford would cock his pistol for his seconed shot on his belt. He even had a double thrickness of leather above his holster for this ending up with the gun sideways.

Due to a broke left wrist and having that hand truned to face behind me, I end up most of the time shooting gunfighter with my left gun that way.

I love it when they let me double tap targets as I can line up both sights at the same time, I do have to watch and not get the reports to close together.

Just heard a joke about this last week at our Illinois State Championship..

"Do you know why Gang Bangers shoot their pistols sideways?"

answer...

"That's the way they come out of the box!"

Rance ;)

Thinkin' it hit me funny :D

Years back in a basic pistol class the instructor demonstrated by

holding a revolver upside down and working the trigger with his little

finger. He hit the target dead center.

What you say makes sense until you actually try it.

Load up a 45 Colt full of Black Powder with a 250 grain bullet. Then hold it sideways and see where the bullet really goes.

Sight lines are nearly never parallel with bore axes, especially in heavy recoiling firearms or those sighted for long range. Proper vertical holding is essential beyond belly gun distance. Long range black powder shooters often install spirit levels in their front sights in an effort to eliminate a canted hold.

Take a large caliber 4" S&W revolver and set it on a level surface by resting it on the front sight blade and rear sight leaf. The bore will point up.

Mark

The really important question is Were they wearing their cowboy hats sideways?

The really important question is Were they wearing their cowboy hats sideways?

with their drawers hangin out?

Just heard a joke about this last week at our Illinois State Championship..

"Do you know why Gang Bangers shoot their pistols sideways?"

answer...

"That's the way they come out of the box!"

Rance ;)

Thinkin' it hit me funny :D

Except I doubt many gang bangers got a gun out of a box or a receipt with thier guns.....good joke tho!

Glenn Ford was shown doing that occasionally, at the end of a fast draw aided materially by editing.

Mark

I don't know what you are referring to by "aided materially by editing". Glenn Ford was part of the group of actors who got into the fast draw craze. He was considered to be one of the fastest. I saw him put on a gun handling exhibition in person. No editing would have been necessary.

P.S. There are several references on the internet to .04 of a second from holster to first shot.

Royal, in the scene of which I spoke, there is a noticeable jump in the video during his draw, showing that some frames had been removed. I suppose it could have resulted from a repair instead of an edit. Dunno.

I found a reference to that time of 0.04 seconds, too, and also another that called it 0.4 seconds, which sounds more like it to me.

It's cool that you got to watch him in person.

Mark

Yeah that's extra cool when the movie fast draw cowboys to do it for real.

I've heard that Audy Murphy was extremely quick and very accurate with live ammo.

Royal, in the scene of which I spoke, there is a noticeable jump in the video during his draw, showing that some frames had been removed. I suppose it could have resulted from a repair instead of an edit. Dunno.

I found a reference to that time of 0.04 seconds, too, and also another that called it 0.4 seconds, which sounds more like it to me.

It's cool that you got to watch him in person.

Mark

You are probably correct. The 0.40 sounds more like it. There was no timer when I saw him but he was fast and he fired the pistol at an angle not straight up. Watch the sequence from the movie Jubal where he draws on Rod Steiger from horseback. Impressive sitting and from an old west style holster.

All this talk here lately about the old Westerns (that I used to watch on TV in the 50s) has got my blood up to find out about Netflix or whatever and put together a video library. TV hasn't been turned on in months, partially in reaction to all those years of estrogen soaked weekends with continuous loops of "Say Yes to the Dress" and other such glotch. (insert GAG smiley)

This is my place now. How about a big steak and some fresh tomatoes to go with Glenn Ford or Bob Steele or Harry Carey? Maybe a road trip up to OK City to see the Cowboy Hall of Fame. They have a really good full length portrait of Glenn Ford standing at a bar. A stop in Waco for the Texas Ranger Museum, too.

Later on, another trek through the Comanche and Apache country, the Lost Adams Diggings country, to attend Winter Range for the first time and bum around Tucson where I used to fly.

Bet y'all can tell this cowboy stuff has got under my skin. For many years I flew on weekends, so could not compete. Didn't join SASS when the badge numbers went over 2000, 'cause I didn't want to have such a high one. :P So, thanks to all you troops who have built this up and kept it alive. I've found more friends the last two months than in the previous forty years and can have trigger time with 'em almost every weekend. I would not have predicted last year that life would be this good.

Yeehah!, Mark

CAS Shooter

Senior Flatus

I shot a stage like an urban gunfighter with my pistols crossed, and sideways, cleaned the stage to a barrage of laughter. :D

Glenn Ford developed a technique where he cocked his pisrol as he bagan his draw, fired the first round as the barrel cleared the front of the holster, cocked the pistol again by dragging the hammer on his belt as he thrust the gun forward firing again without releasing the trigger, then fanned another shot as he reached the end of the thrust. I saw this demonstrated and it was impressive!!

Jerry Lewis was acknowledged as the fastest gun in Hollywood for many years, being faster than Sammy Davis Jr, Audie Murphy, and all of the stunt men who performed many of the quick draws you saw in the movies.

Bob Munden even mentioned Lewis' prowess with a colt!!

When I first met Bob Munden at End of Trail 1985, he had 6-8 Colts in a long Rifle case. He was showing them to a few of us and let me handle them.

The one I liked best was given to him by Jerry Lewis in 1957-'58. He really was Proud of that Colt.

Jake

Archived