SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 "in the white" finish question

travelin kid #51083

How many of you have seen, or have the straight up information, not
assumption, about a finish that left the Uberti factory on a few
1873 rifles called, I believe called "in the white"?

They look like stainless, but are not, I have heard and read everything from
its bare unfinished steel, to a satin nickel finish.

Set me straight on what it is, if you know...

Yes, I know the term "in the white" is traditionally used for bare
metal guns, but have heard and read different on this product...

Uberti's in-the-white guns start out blued then the blue is polished off so it is bare metal. Gotta keep them wiped down/oiled or fingerprints, etc. can cause corrosion.

Both my main and backup '73s are Ubertis in the white. They're not unfinished. They've been blued and then the outer layer of oxied is polished off. They have the same corrision resistance as any other blued gun (Read NONE) yet look like stainless.

Dang, beat by Abilene by less than a minute. :lol:

In a modern air conditioned home, subject to regular cleaning and oiling, bare metal will hold up very nicely.

Do not put the gun in a fabric case on a high humidity day and leave it there or it will rust so fast your head will spin.

A blued gun does actually have a bit of rust protection, but it is not much. One advantage of the bare metal is that if it does suffer any corrosion, it can quickly be restored to like new with appropriate sand paper/file work etc. without the cost to reblue the gun.

I know a shooter who likes the look, and he polishes the blue and case colors off of all his guns (flitz and a dremel). They look good. He shoots BP in them and has not had any problems with the finish.

A lot of the Uberti rifles that are factory engraved come in the white, since the engraving shows up better.

As mentioned above, the Uberti "In The White" starts out as a blued gun and the blue is buffed off. Some of the rust prevention is still left, but care is needed to prevent rust.

I took the forearm off one of mine to engrave it and the magazine tube still had some blueing left. I guess they were lazy that day.

The pistol grip version is in the catalog, my straight stock one was a special order.

Nice looking gun anyway.

Roo

i-gPGjv7T-M.jpg

Dang, dang pretty! In SoCal, a light coating of oil is all that is needed to keep it rust free.

Archived