SASS Wire Forum

Cell phones and straight talk

Korupt Karl

Has anyone tried the 45$ a month from Walmart that is unlimited text, call and data? I currently pay 250 per month with my current provider and if the coverage is as good I would more than cut my bill in half.

Let me know if you've tried it.

KK

Read the fine print, and ask questions. Find out who the carrier is, it varies, the one used here doesn't work all that well for me. It's not really unlimited in the amout of data, like most you are limited to 3 or 5 (can't remember which) Gigabytes dowload. Would not work for me, may for you.

Good timing on the question, as I'm about to make my monthly $110 payment (single phone) and hearing the Wally World commercial....

Read the fine print, and ask questions. Find out who the carrier is, it varies, the one used here doesn't work all that well for me. It's not really unlimited in the amout of data, like most you are limited to 3 or 5 (can't remember which) Gigabytes dowload. Would not work for me, may for you.

2 gigabyte IIRC.

For phone it's great.

I use mine for business but only use it for calling, navigation, yellow/white page apps, credit card transactions and a limited amount of surfing. My surfing is very limited. Mostly looking for contact info or product info, but if a desktop is around I use that instead.

I got one for my son who is in college just outside of Atlanta. I buy the Wally World 6 month prepaid card and it's actually a few dollars cheaper. It has unlimited everything. His works on the AT&T network but it probably varies around the country.

The networks I know about for Straight Talk are Verizon, which I am on, and AT&T. The quality of service (from what I and others I know have seen) depends on the quality of your phone, and your reception strength. Do a lot of research on the phone you are looking at purchasing before you buy it, as some have issues one you add aps. If you do not care to add aps, then any of the phones will do the job really. You can also bring your current phone with you now when you switch, and use it with Straight Talk. I switched right before Christmas last year and I have the same reception now, that I had with my old plan.

• 2 weeks later...

On a related note, Straight Talk is a partnership with Trac Phone and Wal Mart.

I am having a change of heart.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/19792114/carlos-slim-worlds-richest-man-gets-richer-supplying-obamaphones-to-poor#axzz2WckOh4HU

Good timing on the question, as I'm about to make my monthly $110 payment (single phone) and hearing the Wally World commercial....

WOW! I'm paying $125.00 a month for 4 phones, only one of them is "smart". Only mine and the "smart" one have texting plans. The other two users don't text. You might take a good look at your carrier and do some serious shopping.

I bought a Nokia 6030 about 2006 for $30. I pay $100 for 1,000 minutes......good for a year. Any unused minutes roll over when I buy more.

I can make phone calls and text. 10 cents a minute or per text. I've never run out yet. I have T-Mobil and get great reception everywhere. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/nokia/nokia-6030-00.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_6030-pictures-1086.php&h=400&w=500&sz=46&tbnid=WWWkm4KJMPtOjM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=122&zoom=1&usg=__D5VuvWJnA17xMzcPRBaT4nogQUc=&docid=cWwSiav3jsRH1M&sa=X&ei=MSHBUdeVE5HG9gSfoYCIBw&ved=0CEUQ9QEwAw&dur=3406

Jake

My daughter has one of those. And the $45 dollar card last her all month with no problems. And thats a 14 yo girl, who is talking, texting and facebooking all at the same time on hers. And she normally has better signal than my wife does with her Verizon phone. But signal depends a lot of the phone itself, not just the carrier

I pay 85 a month, don't even have a "smart" phone. My plan is unlimited calls, 250 texts and free calls to other Verizon customers. It's my business phone so I can't complain, I write it off.......

HEAR THAT IRS????

I'm an old fashioned guy who figures a phone is for talking. I don't text. I don't know how to text & I have texting blocked on my phone. Sprint sent me a statementt one month by text & I sent them an email telling them that texting is blocked on my phone and that includes them. I haven't got a text from them since. I don't email either. I have 3 computers for that. I also don't take pics with mine either. My phone has a camera but there is no flash & the pics are terrible. I have a good digital camera & a 35mm camera & both take great pics.

My Sprint bill is $43 a month and I have never maxed out my minutes.

Archived