SASS Wire Forum

.22 LR Ammo

I bought 4800 rounds from 6 different tables at the gun show this weekend for our Georgia Young Guns. Cost averaged out to 17.5 cents a round !! Hard to get kids to shoot without ammo , at least for now we can help, will distribute to the parents at upcoming matches. Hoping this shortage lets up sometime soon. Dirt

Dirt, you rock.

I have had the same concern here in VA. Hoping to get to the next Gunshow and buy up enought to be sure my own young gun can shoot without having to worry about running low and have enough to share for those who need for their young guns as well.

PR

Ouch.......

I can live with out .22 for a long time at those prices. $875.00 for 5000 rounds?

Pard I feel your pain, but sounds like there might be some 38's in those Young'un's future!

I've turn down several offers at $.10 each, but I've seen it HIGHER than that too!

Dirt! Dirt! Dirt! I know the parents of the kids who shoot .22 will be appreciative. You're always right where you should be when you're needed...even when folks don't realize you're needed.

For the benefit of anyone who is out of the loop on the availability of ammo, including .22 ammo, take a look here. The law of supply and demand is evident. Thanks again, Dirt!

Just registered my son with SASS and am planning on letting him shoot the next match we make it to; which will probably be in June because of little league baseball. We have enough .22 LR for a couple of matches and a little practice. If we can't get any reasonably priced .22 by then he's gonna be shooting .38 special. Kind of a shame that I can reload .38's cheaper than I can by .22 LR.

I've been seeing the 525 Federal bulk packs of .22's going for an average of $100 on Gunbroker. I keep thinking it was a good idea to have stocked up before the most recent scare. Lay in a supply of food and water when you can too. This won't be over for a LONG while and there most certainly will be a next time after this. This can be a good lesson to build on for the future.

I bought 4800 rounds from 6 different tables at the gun show this weekend for our Georgia Young Guns. Cost averaged out to 17.5 cents a round !! Hard to get kids to shoot without ammo , at least for now we can help, will distribute to the parents at upcoming matches. Hoping this shortage lets up sometime soon. Dirt

You're an awesome fella.

Dirt! Dirt! Dirt! I know the parents of the kids who shoot .22 will be appreciative. You're always right where you should be when you're needed...even when folks don't realize you're needed.

For the benefit of anyone who is out of the loop on the availability of ammo, including .22 ammo, take a look here. The law of supply and demand is evident. Thanks again, Dirt!

Buck, those are very kind words, thanks

A few months back -- in between tragedies, unfortunately -- I suspected there might be a run on ammo but never suspected it would reach this extreme condition. Anyway, I had a carton of 550 22LR's that I regularly drew from for CCW matches and fun shooting plus a few odds and ends of 22LR. Glad I gave in to the suspicion and ordered a 1,400 plastic tub of Remington 22LR's at what were then normal prices. Incidentally, I also stocked up on a bunch of other ammo plus powder and primers. Can't believe the stories I hear about shortages/non-availability but I hear enough of 'em and from enough sources to believe it's true.

IMHO, howsomeever, with patience we may see the situation return to something in the manner that we used to think of as "normal". I subscribe to a number of shooting magazines. A number of their writers have made inquiries to the ammo manufacturers and get essentially the same story, namely that production lines are running at full capacity. Some have laid on additional work shifts. All, however, are leery of investing in additional production capacity out of fear of being left high and dry once the panic buying recedes (panic buying? perhaps it's just a prudent precaution) and demand returns to pre-crisis levels.

Anyway, I've seen two of these before. First was right after Slick Willie was elected and had control of both legislatures. And he did enact the 1994 Act. Powder and primers disappeared and ammo, some types in particular, were hard to find or disappeared for a while. The panic and shortages did pass and were helped by turnover of both houses in the mid-term election. The second was leading up to and particularly right after O's first election. Again, ammo, powder, primers, ammo -- just flew off the shelves and then disappeared. After the passage of quite a few months, and particularly when he lost control of the House, availability and pricing returned to normal.

So .... will this pass too? And pricing and availability return to normal? I think so. If production continues flat-out and -- we hope and pray -- congress dithers but doesn't produce, then ammo and components should start reappearing on store shelves and in the shooting-supply catalogs. Dag-gum sure hope so. But I'd hardly counsel against stocking up when the opportunity presents itself. Hate to think that some of the rampant conspiracy theories might actually have a basis in fact.

I do believe this "crunch" will pass before too long. Hope it's soon after Congress gets back from their Easter break. But it's a tough road for those who need 22 ammo now. I don't believe I've ever seen a severe shortage of 22 before and really don't understand why it's being hoarded now. I can understand AK's and AR's. And 223, 308 and 7.62x39. But 22???

I think the problem is just panic. Here in CT they were talking about needing a license to buy ammo and no internet sales. Well that started the panic for people who had firearms and no license. Once the ammo started leaving the shelves the hoarding started. So any caliber that people owned started drying up. Then came the profiteers. They bought everything they could afford just to sell at a higher price.

Once all the politicians calm down and realize these laws they are talking about will do nothing to deter the criminals and things settle down everything should be back to normal. And may all those profiteers loose money.

Archived