SASS Wire Forum

Reloading Smokeless Shotshells, Need Your Input

I have been doing some research on reloading shotshells for my pard Gunn Walker, and I need your input. For those of you who reload smokless, what is your specific load? This is for 12-gauge. I know we cannot publish our loads on here, so please either PM me or email me at mattogilvie55@aol.com. Thank you all, and have a good week.

Have you got a shot charge weight and a particular powder in mind? There are literally thousands of 12 gauge loads available. If you narrow this down a little, you will have lots less in the way of suggestions to sort through.

For example, CAS shooters usually run shot weight somewhere between 7/8 ounce and 1 1/8 ounce in a 12 gauge load. Some even are down at 3/4 ounce. How light does he want to go? Personally, I don't make loads below 7/8 ounce because we sometimes see some stubborn knockdowns at NM and AZ based matches.

And, what powder to use sometimes can be figured out as being the same powder you guys keep in stock for his revolver/rifle cartridges, or what you like to stock for your own shotshell loading. As hard as it is to get powder right now, keeping with your normally-stocked powder may make lots of sense.

Wads are usually easier, but if you normally use Claybuster (or some other brand) wads, you know where to get them, so give us a hint there, too.

We'll just assume he has a pile of Win AA or Rem STS hulls for you to load, unless you tell us about them, too!

Good luck, GJ

All I remember about reloading smokeless shotshells, I load BP and buy smokeless, is do not vary the recipe. If it calls for one thing do not substitute another as it can vary pressures quite a bit. There is a lot of published info out there.

send a pm

cpbc

Buy the latest Lyman Shotshell Reloading Manual and replicate the formulas printed therein'. You WON'T have a shotgun going KABOOM due to your loads. Each shell requires a specific wad, powder type/charge and shot size/charge combination for maintaining safe pressures.

1stly, that is my advice, meets all forum rules and won't have you coming back to sue me for giving you my load combination that I use in a Remington "RXP" shell when you're using Winchester AA hulls or in some other.

2ndly, hull, powder charge, wad, shot column combinations can yield different heights and I've yet to find a printed combination that didn't provide a good solid crimp that won't "leak" shot, or otherwise come apart during storage and transportation. Yes, I know... lessons learned the hard way. Experimentation with shotshell combinations is a very frustrating pasttime. Frankly, I've found it to be a waste of time, shot, powder and wads!

3rdly, at the present time, BUYING your smokeless shells is about as cost effective as loading your own.

For CAS smokeless shotgun shells my reloads duplicate the popular Winchester "Featherlite" loads. Load data is available on the bottle of WAALite powder or the Hodgdon online reloading data site. Others use Clays powder loaded below published minimums. If you are not too sensitive to recoil try Remington Gun Club factory loads and don't reload. You just won't save much if cheap shotgun shells work for you.

Every powder manufacturer prints loading information, usually available where you purchase powder, but certainly online. Follow the recipe to the letter. Small changes can make big bangs. Find a load that meets the powder, primer, and shell combination most readily available to you. Use the wad or wad substitute listed in the load. A 7/8oz load at moderate velocity will be economical and fine for what we do.

CR

Archived