SASS Wire Forum

Is there any gun powder made in the USA?

Noah Cash

I am the Wife using my Husband's screen name to ask a question. I asked my Husband "Where is gun powder made?", and he could not answer the query. He went on line and did some research, but to no avail. I went on line to research it also, again no answer. I found some very intresting information and history about gun powder and that it was made in China at one time and I guess it still is, but is any of it made in the USA? The Hogdon Clays container says it is made in Australia. So, my question to all of you is "Is there any gun powder made in the USA, and if so, where?"

Sincerely Curious,

Hilda Billie

I am the Wife using my Husband's screen name to ask a question. I asked my Husband "Where is gun powder made?", and he could not answer the query. He went on line and did some research, but to no avail. I went on line to research it also, again no answer. I found some very intresting information and history about gun powder and that it was made in China at one time and I guess it still is, but is any of it made in the USA? The Hogdon Clays container says it is made in Australia. So, my question to all of you is "Is there any gun powder made in the USA, and if so, where?"

Sincerely Curious,

Hilda Billie

Yes Ma'am.............Der is !

GOEX Black Powder.................Us "Lords of the Soot" call it "Holy Black" ! :D

Made in south Louisiana. ;)

He made me create my own account, so that I am able to check the answers to my query on my own. Thanks.

He made me create my own account, so that I am able to check the answers to my query on my own. Thanks.

Howdy Hilda Billie !

Welcome to ta fire ............

Psss.....don't believe a word dey say bout me......it's all lies.......I swear ! :blush:

Bottles........fetch me a bottle of Bulliet an too dirty glasses or what ever da lady be drinkin' !

Just some sasparilla for me, thank you.

Bottles ...ya hearded da lady......now quit yur gawkin' an git a move on !

Have dat sassaparilla fer in a minute !

Keepin Bearinarms.....pull yur self up a sit down ! Fiddle player will be here in a minute .

UB. allot of those powders are Aussie made. IIRC,Varget is one.

LG

Well you really have to go through all their products. Some are imported and some are made in the USA.

But none are Chinese. :lol:

Some time back the story goes, Winchester contracted with Hogdgon to make some of their powders. Hogdgon contracted with ADI Australia to make powder for them.

Thales Australia ADI Powder equivalents chart

At the bottom of the chart is sates equivalent.

Some powders by ADI like WW321, HP-38 and AP50N. AS30N & Clays are the same powder.

Some others are very close in burn rate and chemistry but look as you have said, different.

It is best to refer to the loading data for the particular named powder you're using. Cross referencing can be done but long conversations with powder manufacturer technicians are required. Calling Australia can get expensive.

It's much cheaper to just use published data.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to thank all the Cowboys that answered my question about where gun powder is made. It was really sweet of you all to take the time to satisfy a lady's curiosity. I do find it amazing that so much of the gun powder is made in Australia when the gun laws are so strict there, but then again look at Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York, etc. But like the late Paul Harvey once said, "If life made sense, then men would be the ones riding side saddle."

Hilda Billie, ya never said weather ya wanted "Holy Black" or dat Heathen Smokeless or not !

Kinda thot I wood not be da only one to tell ya bout "Holy Black" as der are so many black powder shoots in dis Saloon ! :wacko:

My husband is getting into the black powder for his 45-70 Shiloh Sharps, but most of what we do is smokeless. We have been claiming that we are "Heathens" for years.

My husband is getting into the black powder for his 45-70 Shiloh Sharps, but most of what we do is smokeless. We have been claiming that we are "Heathens" for years.

A 45-70 full of bp is a near religious experience! :D

A 45-70 full of bp is a near religious experience! :D

Rat !

I thout I saw God in da mist of da smoke ! :lol::lol:;)

"Holy Black " for his 45-70 ?

Oh my child......der is hope fer ya yet ! ! ! :lol::lol:;)

Archived