SASS Wire Forum

Class III fun.

Dorado

So, I'm spending this week visiting my brother in Oklahoma City. Well, there's a shop here called H&H, that has an indoor range and rents guns including class III guns. Now I have never fired a full auto gun before so I had to rent one. I rented a UMP, the big brother of the MP5. That thing is SOO much fun it should be illegal. lol. If y'all are ever in this area you need to visit them. Rental fee was $20 plus ammo, so it's not that expensive. The employees there are very friendly and knowledgeable. Most fun I've had in a long time.

Years ago my son and I helped my brother in law build a shed. To say thanks, he treated us to a machine gun shoot. Big outdoor range, lots of toys lined up and you pay to play. Got to shoot several full autos that day including belt fed. What a hoot.

I think it would have been cheaper for my brother in law to hire his shed built, but I'm glad it worked out like it did!

Grizz

It's only Rock 'n Roll but I like it, like it. Yes I do. ;)

Years ago my son and I helped my brother in law build a shed. To say thanks, he treated us to a machine gun shoot. Big outdoor range, lots of toys lined up and you pay to play. Got to shoot several full autos that day including belt fed. What a hoot.

I think it would have been cheaper for my brother in law to hire his shed built, but I'm glad it worked out like it did!

Grizz

Was that at the Dragon mans east of Colorado Springs ??

Class 3 are fun to shoot and a hoot, but expensive. I re-load for them, luckily both handle lead bullets good, rather then jacketed. At first I would rip through a magazine, but now use burst. Have 3, and my favorite is the M2.

Use to be a monthly thing, but now about every 6 months. Getting into long range shooting more and more lately with military rifles, 200 to 350 yds. MT

My bud in OKC just got his class three. He has a SAW that is supposed to be delivered in about two months. I have 3k rounds of 223 loaded up and will probably start to link them in a week or so. His class three is going to cost me a ton of money I have a feeling.

I have my FFL, but getting that SOT letter is such a pain to get.

Class 3 are fun to shoot and a hoot, but expensive. I re-load for them, luckily both handle lead bullets good, rather then jacketed. At first I would rip through a magazine, but now use burst. Have 3, and my favorite is the M2.

Use to be a monthly thing, but now about every 6 months. Getting into long range shooting more and more lately with military rifles, 200 to 350 yds. MT

M2? Ma Deuce? Wow. Used to want one. But with ammo prices nowadays, glad I never got one.

I made up a bunch of 122 TC 9mm for my MP40. Storebought bullets, so had that crappy hard lube on 'em. Used 'em in an indoor range. They fed and fired fine, but between the Unique powder and the hard lube, and the closed-in area, looked like I was shooting black powder. :blink:

Went back to jacketed.

M2? Ma Deuce? Wow. Used to want one. But with ammo prices nowadays, glad I never got one.

I made up a bunch of 122 TC 9mm for my MP40. Storebought bullets, so had that crappy hard lube on 'em. Used 'em in an indoor range. They fed and fired fine, but between the Unique powder and the hard lube, and the closed-in area, looked like I was shooting black powder. :blink:

Went back to jacketed.

I use gas checks on the .30 carbine ammo, and also for the 9MM MP40. The Thompson handles everything with 20 rd sticks (my preference), but the 2- 30 sticks I have do give it a hangup. M2s are still very reasonable. You can still find some for under 5000. The MP 40 have sky rocketed to almost what Thompsons are. MT

I use gas checks on the .30 carbine ammo, and also for the 9MM MP40. The Thompson handles everything with 20 rd sticks (my preference), but the 2- 30 sticks I have do give it a hangup. M2s are still very reasonable. You can still find some for under 5000. The MP 40 have sky rocketed to almost what Thompsons are. MT

Your Thompson - real one, or West Hurley. Mine's a West Hurley, so I feel I can say that. :D They sometimes have feed problems, as the West Hurley folk used a regular 45 pistol chamber (which was designed for a single-stack magazine), and the actual Colts and GI guns used a different chamber design.

Yup, I had a lot of fun. I'd like to get a class III license but that will have to wait until I get a good job. It cost about $150 total, but we split the costs and had other expenses with it. I'm thinking of heading back tomorrow and shooting the full auto 22. That would be both fun and inexpensive. A brick of 22lr would go a long way.

Just for your information (and because that phrase annoys me greatly) there is no such thing as a "Class III License". It's a one-time tax you pay for each gun. You want one machine gun - there's a two-hundred dollar tax. You want ten machine guns - there's two thousand dollars worth of taxes. But there ain't no license.

The closest thing there is to a "Class III License" would be someone who had a Type 3 Special Occupation Tax on his Federal Firearms License.

Your Thompson - real one, or West Hurley. Mine's a West Hurley, so I feel I can say that. :D They sometimes have feed problems, as the West Hurley folk used a regular 45 pistol chamber (which was designed for a single-stack magazine), and the actual Colts and GI guns used a different chamber design.

Yes, a real Thompson. The West Hurley's, don't know to much about them, but aren't they only full auto? And not select-fire? MT

Yes, a real Thompson. The West Hurley's, don't know to much about them, but aren't they only full auto? And not select-fire? MT

No, they're select fire. Mine's a 1928AC. Works fine with a drum, which feeds like a single-stack. Occasionally has problems with sticks, which feed double-stack.

First there was Colt. Then along came the war and there were Savage and Auto Ordnance. Then, in the 60s, Numrich bought the name and started making them in West Hurley, NY. Then later they decided to get out of the business and another company bought the name and factory, and this new Auto Ordnance (which had nothing at all to do with General Thompson's Auto Ordnance) started making them in West Hurley. Kinda like pre- and post-64 Winchesters, Winchester and USRA, and Winchester and the Herstal Group.

It works, it's fun, I like it. I wish it was a Savage. But then, I wish my 94s were pre-64. ^_^ You work with what you got.

Just for your information (and because that phrase annoys me greatly) there is no such thing as a "Class III License". It's a one-time tax you pay for each gun. You want one machine gun - there's a two-hundred dollar tax. You want ten machine guns - there's two thousand dollars worth of taxes. But there ain't no license.

The closest thing there is to a "Class III License" would be someone who had a Type 3 Special Occupation Tax on his Federal Firearms License.

Well, I didn't know. I knew there was a stamp for silencers but I didn't know about class III. Thanks.

Now that I know that, if I can scrounge up the necessary funding I'd get me one or two. lol

I'm only dreaming though. It would be a long time before that could happen.

Archived