SASS Wire Forum

Mailing guns

Hangry Bob

I pack them in a box and pack news paper around the hole thing .

15 years and only 1 calmed a damaged gun. :rolleyes:

I invest in an inexpensive hard case, pack it in a cardboard box, and send it. Remember unless you are an FFL you can not "mail" a handgun.

Maybe I had better get some clarification on this. . over on the classified side of the wire I see posting referencing that the buyer's ffl holder must accept from an individual. Am I mistaken in thinking that any individual can send to an ffl holder?

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

The best way is exactly what BAD HAND said with the cheap inner plastic case. B)

I also use the USPS Flat Rate boxes when possible. FFL only.

Lots of tape too.

Mustang Gregg

Maybe I had better get some clarification on this. . over on the classified side of the wire I see posting referencing that the buyer's ffl holder must accept from an individual. Am I mistaken in thinking that any individual can send to an ffl holder?

He quoted "mail". That means that a non-licensed person cannot use USPS to mail handguns to the FFL.

My understanding is that USPS regs permit only FFL to FFL mailing of handgun.

The other concept is that the buyer's FFL accept a shipment from a non-licensed person.

Most states permit this. It is legal by ATF. Best to check with the buyers FFL.

An FFL holder may choose NOT to accept a shipment from individuals.

UPS and FEDEX both will ship.

But use a service center not a UPS STore nor Kinkos etc.

In terms of packing, Use boxes that are for firearms. And then pad them.

Box should be firm and strong. And then pad again if possible with final outside box.

Or plastic gun boxes with padding and then an outer box.

UPS/Fedex all have teams tasked with breaking your box..... only kidding....seems that way though.

Be sure to put insurance on the package . If it's worth say $1000 insure it for $1100 just to be safe. Never hurts to over insure anything. Also if it's not packaged properly they can run over it with the delivery truck and not pay the claim. ;)The carrier will say it was due to " improper packaging " is why the content was damaged. This has happened to us a couple times and we package our products very well. It's worth spending the $10 and buy a cheap doskal brand case or something on that line. And like someone stated in a above post be sure to tape it up very well. I ha e found that USPS seems to be a little pricey with their shipping. In my experience Fed -ex or UPS is better. Good luck

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

I am an FFL and I can use any of the three.

I prefer USPS.

Mustang Gregg

Non-FFL holders can ship long guns directly to a dealer; handguns need to go from a dealer to a dealer.

For loing-gun packaging, I buy five-packsof medium-length long-gun shipping cartons; hand guns generally go in whatever I can find that's the right size. The guns themselves get wrapped in bubblewrap. I use the kind that's semi-sticky on one side and wrap the gun end-over-end in four or five layers. Never had a complaint.

BTW, I'm not a dealer.

Handguns DO NOT HAVE to go dealer to dealer........ as clearly stated some ffl's will not accept from an individual but that doesn't mean it's the law.

If shipping handguns Fedex and UPS regs say that an individual must ship overnight... so declare the handgun and ship it overnight... if you do not declare it, if anything goes wrong they do not have to cover it's loss, same thing if you ship it 2nd day or ground....they say that handguns/firearms get special handling

Long guns can be mailed USPS insured with signature confirmation **

pay for signature verification no matter what or how you ship or they'll leave it on someone's doorstep.....been there , done that!!

I have always put long guns in a box or case well packed and that inside a well packed box. I always assume that someone will try to break it and pack accordingly. No issues yet. Once we sold a complete set of China and shipped UPS (very dangerous) . Didn't lose a piece. I prefer USPS, myself.

Horace

I happen to have a degree in packaging engineering (sounds like a joke, but I really do ;) ). The inexpensive hard case idea is a good one for an expensive rifle. Otherwise, I'd wrap it tightly in multiple layers of large-cell bubble-wrap using packaging tape to secure it around the gun. Make sure to leave a 5-6" extra at the end of the barrel to fold over and tape. Barrels have a way of puncturing cartons. I once picked up a K98 Mauser from FedEx that had about 8" of barrel protruding through the end of the carton :o . Pack the bubble-wrapped bundle into a box and void fill around it with crumpled newspaper. Tape the carton with packing tape (all seams).

Do pay for shipping insurance.

Do pay for delivery confirmation.

Do Not lie about the contents to avoid the hassle that an uneducated employee may give you. When it comes to firearms, they will err on the side of caution if they do not know the rules/regulations. It is probably a good idea to print them out and bring them with you. UPS or FedEx satellite locations will not ship firearms. If you take the easy way out and lie about the contents, they will not honor the insurance if the package gets lost or damaged.

When I sent my Ruger to Ruger for repair, Ruger sent me an address label for 2nd day shipping. The woman at UPS asked "Whats in the box?" My answer: "Broken machine part." Ruger fixed it and sent it back to me. No Federal Firearm License holder was needed.

+1 on using a cheap plastic guncase then padding inside a cardboard box. Had a rifle shipped to me only in bubble and shrink wrap, and although UPS handled it rough, it should have been packaged better. It took over a month and hours of phone calls to settle the claim and all could have been avoided with a $15-20 plastic shipping case....

Howdy,

Ive had a beautiful riflestock snapped in shipping, it was replaced

with a plain board stock without a hint of figure.

After that I have taken rifles/shotguns apart, wrap the stock

wrap the barrelaction and wrap the two together and slide em into

a short box. AND I tape on my name address phone number on EACH

piece so if the box splits open and the parts go flying the honest

hardworkin folks can return my property.

Avoid any packing that shifts, those plastic peanuts are the worst.

Most of the time you can avoid putting the word gun or rifle etc

on the box. Joes gun shop can become Joes repair shop or

even JGS inc.

Sturm Ruger Inc can become SR Inc.

Mission Knives can become MK Inc.

Also consider Attn Fred Johnson can become Attn Fred Johnson in Repairs.

My idea is that bad guys might not steal stuff going to be repaired.

Always let the receiving party know what you are doing.

Finally, I ask for things to be shipped on Monday.

I figgure things wont sit in a warehouse over the weekend getting

looked over for possible theft.

Expect your package to be mishandled,

experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.....

Best

CR

Archived