SASS Wire Forum

A Little 1911 Advice, Please

Badlands Beady

I don't collect them. At least, I don't think I do, but I seem to keep acquiring them. I bought a Remingtion R1 a year or so ago, and just acquired a NIB Colt 1911 WW1 reproduction (made in 2009?). I've been on the list for a Colt 100th Anniversary model ANvii since last September. These suckers are expensive, I've got an unemployed wife, and we're starting to plan for retirement.

So, which one of the three should I keep? This assumes, of course, that I can stop buying 1911s.

Hummm...can I vote for none of the above?

Two of your choices are not shooters, at least if you want to keep their "collectors" value.

My personal choice would be for Springfield Armory Loaded in your choice blue or stainless steel and 9mm or 45 caliber. S.A.'s are high quality and are used a base guns by gunsmiths for custom builds. A loaded model will give you all the whistles and bells you will for a match and carry piece.

Hummm...can I vote for none of the above?

Two of your choices are not shooters, at least if you want to keep their "collectors" value.

My personal choice would be for Springfield Armory Loaded in your choice blue or stainless steel and 9mm or 45 caliber. S.A.'s are high quality and are used a base guns by gunsmiths for custom builds. A loaded model will give you all the whistles and bells you will for a match and carry piece.

+1 on the Springfield. I bought a stainless version of the Springfield 1911 A! Milspec and its a great looking gun that is very functional and a good shooter.

However, if you are looking to collect and not shoot the Colt would be a nice safe queen that should hold it's value well....IMHO.

I really like my WW1 Repro and keep a Colt Conversion Unit on it for regular use at the house/practice. A Colt Gold Cup resides at bedside and a Colt New Agent is almost always on me during the day. I guess what I am trying to say is that when you have the 1911, what other design do you need? The Gold Cup does qualify for the new Wild bunch Modern use and the WW1 Model is excellent for use in the WB Traditional Category. WB is like bringing a new puppy into a house filled with old dawgs, the puppy brings new life to the old bunch!

Howdy,

If you must sell anything, always sell the item that is easy to replace.

Keep your favorite most used shooters and keep anything truly rare as long as

you have a roof.

When one of my friends retired he decided to sell his four bedroom ranch house.

It was a great place but he didnt need to maintain an acre of lawn all that house taxes etc.

His minivan was replaced by a smart car, I would have picked a little honda, his problem...

By changing his house and car he is saving thousands in several ways.

All I mean to say is that there may be ways economize and still enjoy your hobbies.

In retirement you should have MORE time for shooting or you aint doin it right.

Best

CR

If you're only going to keep one and you want to shoot it, then keep the R1. If you want one that will appreciate/hold its value the 100th Anniversary model is the one to keep. If you shoot that one, at least it will return more of the original purchase price than any of the others. The WW1 repro came in two styles, the earlier Colt Royal Blue and the WW1 black version. The former is the more expensive nowadays, although, with at least 4,000 of each model produced, it's not a great investment in the first place. Of course, one would hope to be able to afford all of them and keep them. I feel your pain.

I don't collect them. At least, I don't think I do, but I seem to keep acquiring them. I bought a Remingtion R1 a year or so ago, and just acquired a NIB Colt 1911 WW1 reproduction (made in 2009?). I've been on the list for a Colt 100th Anniversary model ANvii since last September. These suckers are expensive, I've got an unemployed wife, and we're starting to plan for retirement.

So, which one of the three should I keep? This assumes, of course, that I can stop buying 1911s.

The Remington is a great gun, but long term will not likely hold much value. This isn't a knock against Remington at all. Non-Colt 1911's generally don't hold value well, unless it's some sort of limited edition or engraved, etc...

The WW1 Colt Repro is a fantastic gun, built on the series 70 design. I shoot mine in Wild Bunch and enjoy the gun. Even used, these guns are selling in the exact same price range as they sold new a few years ago. The "Carbonia Blue" model is rare and holds a significant premium. I think these are the ultimate "Wild Bunch" pistol.

The Colt 100th Ann: Unfired, this will go up in value, but will likely take 10 to 20 years to see that appreciation. At least that's what you see with most Colt Commemoratives.

If you need to keep just one: Keep the WW1 repro.

Like I said, I don't "collect" them, at least I try not to. OTOH, I like the WW1 models, and I've been thinking about getting into WB so I'm definitely looking at them as shooters, not investments. And about the house, we're already planning to move into something smaller in a State where our dollar will go further (like, from Vermont to Michigan), and probably ditch one of the cars.

I had a buddy tell me that one could sell his house trailer, located in almost anywhere, and use the proceeds to buy a desrted mansion in West Virginia! Not a knock as I have never been there and this was actually before the crash but he says he done it! He showed back up here about a year or so ago and said the wife kept the mansion but not him.....

Sell them all and buy your self a Ruger SR1911 you wont be sorry :huh:

Archived