SASS Wire Forum

Gun Rig Question

Kiowa Kid, SASS #69870L

Howdy,

I have a couple questions just to see what the Cowboys and Cowgirls like in rigs.

1) Has function played a part in your ability to shoot well?

2) Do you prefer function over fashion?

3) How many run a complete custom rig (made for just you)?

Think about getting a custom built rig to my specs and just wondering if the price is worth it.

KK

ps Let me know what about your rig you like best?

Yes. A well made custom rig can contribute to your overall success and enjoyment. There are only a few who make truly "custom" equipment.

Form should follow function. Flashy with lots of spots doesn't mean the guns will fall to hand and come out clean. The rig needs to "work."

I have had three custom rigs made that functioned perfectly for the job at hand. I have received two rigs from name manufactures that were nothing more than standard die cut examples With a couple of embellishments. Junk as it were. So tread carefully.

Coffinmaker

It depends how fast you are and how fast you would like to git.

I my friend am slow .

The only thing that would help me would be a Uzi. LOL

I have several different rigs and for me none help make me any faster :lol:

So I go for a look I like .

But on the other hand fast guys like Deuce Stevens, Katchem Quick ,Doc Noper .

They all are fast and need custom rigs to keep up with there speed.

At some point your equipment has to be as fast as you are. :huh:

Doc Noper makes some very nice rigs for the fast guys around here in Michigan :)

God Bless .

Function is #1, I delayed it for years and regretted it.

Being a B Western shooter and a clothes horse before that, a good looking rig is a must.

anything after 1 & 2 is gravy....

I use a Kirkpatrick Long hunter O4 with the drop. excellent rig

cheyenne

Since image is everything :rolleyes: you definitely want a rig with style. To some that means fancy shmancy and to others it means simple and elegant. If you love it it's worth it. But, the rig still has to be functional, and holsters have to hold their shape over time so you can reholster easily. Since in CAS you are moving around you also want the holster to retain your gun tight enough so it doesn't fall out and or the holster needs some kind of retainer.

If you are into fast draw you pretty much want the gun to fall out if you jump up and down.

Show us a pic when you get it.

I currently use a custom rig and wouldn't trade it for the world. It was designed only for me and I had a lot of input into the process. It has turned out to be a great rig.

1) Has function played a part in your ability to shoot well?

If I ever shoot well, I'll let you know. :D

2) Do you prefer function over fashion?

Without function, who cares about fashion, but the two are not mutually exclusive.

3) How many run a complete custom rig (made for just you)?

I do, but didn't have much input into a lot of the function specifics as I was too new to really know what I wanted, or needed. The only thing I'd do differently is that I'd get a lined belt next time.

I had a Duke rig since about 1978, but when I joined SASS I started with some cheap Oklahoma Saddlery holsters to find out what I liked ( id position of holster, dtraight draw crossdrraw etc..) but then almost all my stuff is made for me by RedDog leather in Kentucky. All to my specs.

it don't make me shoot any faster, but I look damn good.

curley

For me I like to look the part and enjoy the period correct styles. If I can't shoot like a winner I can look like one, LOL. Rick Bachman at Old West Reproductions is the one for me. The finest workmanship I've seen. Produced from the original pieces in his collection. For what it's worth, Cole

Function has to be #1. If it doesn't work for you or just doesn't feel right you're going to be looking for another rig. I've got a buscadero rig from a name manufacturer and a custom rig for classic cowboy.

I haven't gotten comfortable with the custom rig yet. The pistols ride higher than the drop rig, so I've got to work on getting used to it.

Another thing is what class are you going to shoot? Check the handbook as to leather requirements.

Just some thoughts,

Barry Sloe

First, the best thoughts I have seen on the custom vs standard stock was handled very well by Purdy Gear in the SASS Chronical sometime back. It was so good that I would like to see the 'powers that be' reprint it at least once a year until we fully understand what the differences between custom, semi-custom, off the shelf and somewhere in-between are. I would venture that in excess of fifty percent of our shooters will offer up that they are wearing a so-and-so custom made rig, while in truth we might have perhaps five percent of our shooters using a true custom, made to them, rig. These are most often dealing with custom visual options rather than any major functional design options. I do not call a rig custom made for you, just because some maker allows you to have your initials stamped in for five dollars extra!

I would say that more often than not the guys who show up in the winners circle will generally be wearing an off the shelf item. There can be some variation to this story, sure old so-and-so (fill in the name of your favorite top shot) might have actually helped design this rig but it then became a stock item and not a custom made for you one of a kind. The fact that so many shooters can use and perform so well with these top makers off the shelf rigs points to the fact that they have reached a pretty darn high level of perfection. Sure you might get to type in a belt size or specify one of several degrees of holster cant on that ER Rig or Long Hunter Rig but at best one might arguably call it semi-custom, with a wink! No, for all but the most handicapped shooter, an off the shelf model that allows a few variables to be plugged in are the proven best choices for most shooters. There are so many off the shelf options to chose from that what one maker might call custom another would call his leading seller!

I have made my own "leather" since I got into SASS. Had no quarrel with it other than some of the custom stuff was certainly prettier.

I won a complete custom rig made by HASTINGS at Smoking Guns at Rabbit Ridge.

I don't know how I got along with out it. It is vastly superior in all ways to my homemade rig.

My only caution is to be completely sure of what you want before you start buying custom leather.

Sue, I had a great time Saturday and after watching you shoot, I have no doubt you are a top gun, no matter who made the leather. I have not get to shoot much over recent years but would dare to say that almost half of the holsters I noticed at last weeks match were either Kirkpatrick or Mernickle rigs. I have not ever owned a Kirkpatrick rig but the ones I have looked at were always well thought out and very attractive. His selection is also pretty complete and would easily accommodate most competitive shooters, right off the shelf! Mernickle also looks good but one brand I am really impressed with is Murhy Custom Leather and his 'Old Short Tom' rig looks absolutely scalding, but not custom!

I've been thinking about this, and wonder if I even know all of the options for customization as far as function go...

Off the top of my head...

Lined or unlined belt, holsters

Billeted or non billeted belt

Holster cant

Holster mouth flare

Amount of holster drop

Cartridge loops

Are there others?

Most of the things you list are not custom features, they are usually features specific to different makers models. More, belt style and width, metal or plastic inner liners, tension devices, safety straps, leg straps, number of cartridge loops (or the absence of them) and I am sure some can think of more.

Bob, you are correct of course. What would make the rig 'custom' would be the mix and match of all the features to meet a persons personal preferences and body shape.

I would venture that most SASS cowboys would be well served with a more or less 'stock' rig from one of the makers that does a lot of work with cowboy action shooters. That was the case for me, the maker knew more about it than I did, so I took his advice. Only reason I wound up with a made for me rig is that the maker was willing to make it in trade for some guns I was selling (and not having much luck selling btw.).

That said, there are some shooters who have been at the game long enough and perform at a high enough level that they might benefit from a rig made exactly as they want it.

When the holster producer looks at what you have been using and sighs, you know it can be approved.

Drop, angle, cant etc. things that he could see that I could not.

First shoot with the new rig was a real eye opener. When I reached for a gun, it was there. When I tried to put it away, the holster was ready to take it.

I would highly recommend going to the maker and have them measure you, not just waist size but arm length and shoulder width. I don't know what half of the measurement were for but it certainly had a harmonious outcome.

HASTINGS did a great job for me.

Holsters hold guns, belts hold up the holsters. My holsters/belt are the ones I hunted w/for years before SASS. Total cost $30.

OR

You can spend $450+ for holsters that hold guns and a belt to hold up the holster. :wacko:

OR

Learn how to shoot the guns!!!! And get holsters that are substantial and cheap. B)

LIKE THESE

http://www.timelyaccessories.com/

Archived